Author Topic: Some thoughts on reducing friction  (Read 14002 times)

JayRay_Hughes

Some thoughts on reducing friction
« on: September 03, 2005, 10:23:25 AM »
Friction

It seems to me that when designing a clock this would be something that would always be in thought, because I don’t want a clock that hast to be wound up everyday. The areas that seem obvious to me are:

1.   Any point that two things mess together. (Ex. Gear teeth)
2.   Arbors, or the type/method of bearings used.
3.   Design of pendulum. (aerodynamics, atmosphere causes friction with the swing)
4.   Weight and balance of any moving part. (weight change caused by moisture and imbalance will cause irregularity in the clock time keeping ability)

JayRay_Hughes

How to balance a gear.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 10:39:21 AM »
How to balance a gear.

I only post this because it took me years to find somebody how knew.

1.   place dowel threw center of gear.
2.   sharpen ends to fine point. (reduced friction)
3.   support dowel so gear is suspended and perfectly vertical.
4.   the part of the gear that rotates down is heaviest and needs a little shaved off.
5.   Repeat step 4 until the gear can be rotated to any radius line pointing up.

Tada!!!!! Gear is now in balance. I can’t believe I raked my brain on this for so long. The answer seems obvious at this point.

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
daily winding considered
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:43:21 AM »
I have my original grasshopper clock on my kitchen wall.  It has been running there for nearly 20 years and I wind it every morning.  It is weight operated and will run for about 26 hours.  I thought, originally that daily winding would be a chore, but I find that I enjoy it.  It allows me to start my day with a reminder of how clever a fellow I am, to have built this wonderful clock.  In addition, when I wind it, I check its time and, if necessary, set it.  It is a skeleton clock and very easy to wind and set since the hands are right out in the open.

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
Getting things organized
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 05:56:26 AM »
JayRay et al.  I have added some new forums which I think will help simplify this thing.  I am going to respond to some more of these comments but under the new headings.  I have, as you will notice, added a few more specific forums.  If, in the future, there are a lot of posts about these topics, it will help people sort out what they want to read about.

JayRay_Hughes

Snaps fingures and says, "darn"
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 06:50:03 PM »
I saw that earlier today. Thought to myself,"darn, the post is misplaced now." I noticed that I can't modify post. Can you delete or move the post or should we just let it be. I could cut and past into the new forums, and then you could delete the old post after it is done. By the way, thanks for setting this up and organizing it.

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
moved JayRay's post
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 08:21:02 AM »
JayRay,

I  moved your friction post over to "Bearings" Hope you don't mind.