Author Topic: Electromagnetic pendulum clock  (Read 7584 times)

Offline DickB

• carveshop.com
Electromagnetic pendulum clock
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »
This is the second clock of this type that I have designed and built.  You may have seen Clayton Boyer's Tucan clock; this one uses a similar mechanism.  I did not copy that clock however, mine is all original.  I did develop a couple of refinements.  First, I used a cam on the pendulum to drive the moving pawl.  This makes the pawl movement independent of variations in the swing angle of the pendulum.  Without this, the swing angle must be carefully tuned, and can get out of tune as the batteries age.  Second, I use a microcontroller and a watch crystal time base to measure each and every pendulum swing.  I programmed a PID (proportional - integral - differential) algorithm to speed up or slow down the pendulum as needed. The pendulum must be adjusted within about 1% by adjusting the height of the bob, but once set the microcontroller takes over and keeps perfect time.  A red or green flashing LED lets you know right away if the bob is set correctly, so setting up a new clock takes only a few minutes.

I designed and built the clock using a Carvewright CNC machine and Designer software.  Last June I entered the clock in a Carvewright contest and took first prize.  I made this promotional video primarily for that contest.  It goes into more detail on the design and build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhiP7XDl0Y&feature=share&list=TLu__pd7WPVDAv0VyLGTg1yQpwJNcfJ_70
carveshop.com

Offline BalckGreenEagle

Re: Electromagnetic pendulum clock
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:03:52 AM »
Can you help me? I don't understand everything. Can you tell me about that?

Offline Methoeuz

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
Why do you know it all?Can you explain everything for me?

Offline jc8952

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
DickB,  Nice clock.  Would you be willing to share your circuit design for your pendulum control? 

I have built the Toucan and have a video on youtube about it (user jc8952).  I would like to change mine to a controlled pendulum to make it more accurate.

thanks,
JC