Author Topic: My 1st Attempt  (Read 2976 times)

Offline evanareese

My 1st Attempt
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:20:46 PM »
I'm currently in the process of designing my first clock-like object  :) and I'm sure I could use some pointers. I say "clock-like" because really it's everything but the clock. I'm trying to make a ticking machine as a way to educate myself about compound gear trains, escapements and clock anatomy. I am not following any kind of construction plans so it's an original, experimental design, but I'm cautious that I may (in my excitement) overlook something that would be obvious to you experienced folks.

So my question is this, would anyone like to check it out? I've made a 3D model of it in Solidworks, so if you are is savvy with CAD I can send a 3D file your way, if not I'd gladly take some screenshots for you.

The design is the be wall-mounted and very exposed. I'm trying to make as much of it as I can using laser-cut, white, acrylic (don't worry, it doesn't mean I have a fear of craftmanship or long hours). I've tied to make it big, linear, and obvious so that it can be as educational to other people as it has been to me. I've added an image of it's current state.

Offline steve323

Re: My 1st Attempt
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
Hi Evanareese,

Welcome to the forum.  It's not a really active forum (if you ignore the spam), but there are a few good guys on here with some good ideas.  I am just a casual member that has not actually completed a working clock yet.

That design will make an impressive wall hanging.  I have a few comments.

1) Is the rocking part of the escapement also acting as the pendulum?  I would be worried that it will require a very large swing.  Most clocks use a heavy pendulum that drives an intermediate arm that in turn engages with the escapement.  This allows a few degrees of pendulum movement to be converted into a larger angular movement engaging with the escapement.

2) Each gear will project further away from the wall than the last one.  You could move the pinion gear to the inside on some of them to keep them closer to the wall if desired.

Keep us posted if you make progress.  How does acrylic look after being laser cut?  Does it leave a clean edge? 

Steve

Offline Andrew Roberts

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
It is really good to try building clocks, but my view is that what’s the real benefit? If the version or things are not latest then it’s time wasting investing time on building clocks, I will suggest you to check out the latest brand of Coolest Clock, it is very cool brand and you will be amazed with range of designs there is and not just that there are so many colors as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:54:26 PM by Andrew Roberts »

Offline Staposter

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:02 AM »
It's that I never saw before. And it would be nice to learn more about them constantly.