Author Topic: Genesis Clock build  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Rocketcaver

Genesis Clock build
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
I received my new scroll saw yesterday, as well as the Spring 2011 edition of ScrollSaw Woodworking and Crafts Magazine (issue #42).  This issue has the plans and a very nice write-up for Clayton Boyer's Genesis Clock, which is touted as a simple to build and get going affair suitable for the beginner.  As I am a complete beginner at this sort of thing, I thought it would be a good place to start.  I am sure that "simple" is a very subjective term.
I thought I would start a build thread here to document my progress.  I invite all comments and suggestions; I have the feeling that I will be able to use all the help that I can get.  I'll add photos as I progress.

Offline Sablatnic

Re: Genesis Clock build
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
Congratulations on your new saw, And I will be looking forward to seeing the progress on your clock! But don't expect too many comments. We are quite a quiet bunch of people here.

Josef

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »
Thanks for the comment Josef.  Yes, the forum has been pretty quiet for a while.  As long as I know at least one person is following along I'll keep up with updates.
Looking over these clock plans, I realize that I got lucky in at least one respect.  This clock uses mostly 3/8 plywood... I still have most of the 3/8 inch Baltic Birch plywood that I ordered a couple of years ago, and I have plenty of brass stock and drill rod (silver steel) for the arbors so I'll just have to buy a few bits and pieces.  I'll have to do some shopping this weekend and pick up some scrollsaw blades though, kind of hard to get started without those.  Any advice on what blades to get would be welcome.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:16:51 PM by Rocketcaver »

Offline jasc15

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
Good luck.  I'm interested to see your progress.

I have this forum in my RSS feed, so I see all new posts, including the spam posts.

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
I have hit a minor, or major, snag in this project.
Looking through the plans and looking at my collection of materials, I find that what I thought was my stock of 3/8" BB plywood is in fact 1/2" BB plywood.  I had it in my head that the old Thomas Clock used 3/8, but digging the plans back out it does call for 1/2", which accounts for my stock.  So, in order to keep from having to order more materials I'm going to shelve the Genesis Clock for a while and start on the Thomas clock.
I'll start another thread for that to keep the two projects seperate.

Offline Andrew Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »
In my view it’s way too tough to create a good clock and even if we do it’s way too costly, which I believe is silly to do as it’s better to purchase the world’s number one clock brand Coolest Clock, it is so cheap yet has amazing quality work been done. It has kind of designs that makes anyone stop and take notice and that’s not something that any ordinary clock can do!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:51:48 PM by Andrew Roberts »

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
Thanks for the SPAM sir.