Author Topic: Thomas Clock build  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Rocketcaver

Thomas Clock build
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:21:39 PM »
Let's start with some background.
Somewhere around 1990 or so, I ordered the Thomas Clock plans from an ad in the back of some magazine.  I received a set of large folded up plans with an assortment of very intimedating looking gears and other pieces.  The plans went into a drawer and didn't see the light of day again for many years.
Somewhere around 2010 or so I came across those plans again.  They were a bit ragged around the folds from being shuffled around over several moves and several other "filing systems".  My interest renewed, I found the company who originated the plans online and emailed them asking if the plans had been updated as I was once more interested in building the clock.  I received back a very nice email with a PDF attachment containing the revised version of the plans.  It seems that the old original plans had been drawn by hand, the new version had been recreated using CAD, and a few minor issues had been corrected.  The parts were all nicely arranged logically on 8 1/2 X 11 sheets for full scale print out.
Life happened and a few more years passed.  Now, at long last, I am ready to start building this clock.
I have made a bit of a start already, over the last couple of nights I have cut out one of the bigger gears.  Not being a wood worker at all, this has been a challenge, and a lot of fun.  I cut the teeth on the bandsaw, and cut out the spokes on the new scroll saw... my first scroll saw project!  I was able to repair a dumspter-found disc sander, so I used that to dress the ends of the teeth, and in a few days I should receive a new (cheap) 1" belt sander to true up the faces of the teeth.  One might think that the whole project was just an excuse to buy a bunch of new tools.  I might have to think ponder that one for a while.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:24:14 PM by Rocketcaver »

Offline Rocketcaver

Re: Thomas Clock build
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
Inspection of my newly cut gear revealed that the actual dimensions don't match those shown on the pattern.
Drat!
Obviously I should have checked before I cut the gear.  Oh well, it was good practice.
Looking over my printer settings, I find that when printing PDF's it defaults to "shrink to fit".  Setting it back to "actual size" fixes the issue, but then of course some parts are too big to fit on an 8 1/2" X 11" sheet.  Luckily I can print 11" X 17" sheets, that should fix the problem.  I'll try that this afternoon.
What's that they always say about "measure twice and cut once"?
I freely admit this stupid newbie type mistake on my part so any other beginners who might stumble across this thread might be forewarned.
Still, it was only one gear.  I had a lot of fun making it, and learned several things in the process.  I think I'll go ahead and finish it out and pretty it up and make a wall hanging out of it.

Later...

Yep, the 11X17 set to "actual size" did the trick.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:29:31 PM by Rocketcaver »

Offline SalomBaoBao

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:54:54 PM »

I have plenty of information I believe that there is a lot of information on this.

Offline redtomatoz

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:49:15 AM »
Post this to educate a diverse lot. Ask you to take the good posts like this again.