Author Topic: prototype escapement problems  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Tim

prototype escapement problems
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
Hi, I'm making a wooden clockwork mechanism using a double three-legged escapement. I've rough-cut some parts with the plan to get a prototype working and then develop a good-looking finished model based on the dimensions. Anyway, the pendulum loses energy after just 20 or so swings, so something is very wrong. But what, exactly?

There are so many variables - weight and length of the arms, weight of the pendulum, distance the arms are lifted by the three pushers, etc. Does anyone know of a diagnostic procedure to narrow it down?

Offline BalckGreenEagle

Re: prototype escapement problems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:01:34 AM »

Fantastic. How are you make anything? I find you first if I do it . How can I do?

Offline steve323

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.  The traffic is fairly light and there is a lot of spam, with occasional good feedback, even if it is a bit delayed.

I have not built one, but think I understand how it works.  The weight of the pendulum is probably not important since it is converted between potential energy and kinetic energy and back to potential energy with each swing.  It is nearly lossless except for air resistance and this is not dependent on the weight.

If the pendulum loses energy after 20 swings, then it seems like there needs to be more weight on the arms.  The pendulum pushes the arms and then the arm pushes back for a slightly longer duration.  This might take a larger driving weight to lift larger arms.

What experiments have you tried?  I am curious as to how the debug is going, since this looks like an escapement that I would like to try to build one day.

Steve

Offline SalomBaoBao

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »
Notice this is me. A lot of great information Sometimes I would find it empty.