Author Topic: HELP me add a winding handle to replace draw cord  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Graham

HELP me add a winding handle to replace draw cord
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:01:04 AM »
I am about to build a Ascent clock which I need to encase due to cats. This will make a draw cord awkward to use. A winding mechanism would be much more practical.

This will be my first clock, but do have engineering and model making experience

Has anyone done this on a Ascent or similar?

Can anyone help with plans or advice please?

Any help very much appreciated

Graham.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:03:02 AM by Graham »

Offline steve323

Re: HELP me add a winding handle to replace draw cord
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »
Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum.  The traffic is a bit light, but eventually you usually get a few answers.

I estimate that building an enclosure like a grandfather or grandmother clock would more than double the effort involved.  Try to keep the top as open as possible.  It would be a shame to hide all the effort of making the wooden gears inside a cabinet. 

Maybe someone with cats will chime in to say if cats will get bored with the swinging pendulum and start to ignore it.

Steve

Offline Graham

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:27:12 AM »
Many thanks for your reply. I fully intend to keep the clock mechanism open as I agree with you that this is the charm of the clock. But a winding mechanism will make the clock a much easier to live with on a day to day bassis.

Offline steve323

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:01:37 PM »
Hi Graham,

A traditional grandfather clock has weights and a barrel with a spiral groove to force the cord to follow a specific path as it winds/unwinds.  The cord is routed in a "U" shape, so 1' of fall by the weight results in 2' of cord removed from the barrel.  The spiral groove keeps the cord from bunching up on top of itself.  There is no free end on the cord for cats to play with, although the pendulum is still a problem that might need to be dealt with.

A weight with a 3' fall could use a barrel with a 2" diameter and a groove that wraps around 12 times.

Steve

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:43:48 AM »
That is a help and something that could be of real help. I was thinking more of a gear driving the shaft but will keep thinking. Pendulum is no problem as I am making as a classed clock.
Many thanks Steve.
Graham.