Author Topic: I've got a new way to make gears on a scroll saw  (Read 8143 times)

SteveG769

I've got a new way to make gears on a scroll saw
« on: February 15, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »
Hello everyone, my name is Steve and I make wood sculptural pieces.  I have also built a device that needed some gears - and that has led me to what I want to talk to you about.  I have been browsing around in this forum and looking at some of the web sites showing your work and I am very impressed!  Great job!  The device that needed gears ended up with um...lets call them sprockets...handmade out of steel.  It was an application that was going to put a heavier load on the gears than a clock would.  They are crude, but they do what they are supposed to.

In the past few weeks I have started building my own web site www.steveg769.bizland.com and you can see some of the things I have made including gears - but no clocks yet.  I have developed a new way to make involute profile gears on the scroll saw that really simplifies and improves the process.  I can make straight cut gears or helical gears, my favorite is the helical-elliptical pair of gears that mesh with the two axes at an angle to eachother.  When I get a chance I plan on making a video clip showing them doing just that.  For now, I just have pictures.

So please take a look and let me know what you think.  I am considering writing a "how to" book describing my method and selling copies if there seems to be enough interest.  Thank you for reading my post.

Offline dcunningham2

I'd buy the book
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 10:47:39 AM »
Very impressive work on your website -- I would think a book on your techniques would sell; although, one describing your methods for the nautilus shells and helixes would probablay appeal to a much broader audience of woodworkers and artisans around the world.  That would be in contrast to the approximately 17 people on the planet who are into wooden gears and clockworks.

You could also write a series of articles for magazines such as Fine Woodworking.  I don't know what these pay, but I would think your net proceeds would end up being higher than for a book with such a narrow audience.  You could also guage the level of interest based on the response to your articles before proceeding on an arduous book project.

Great stuff !
Dave Cunningham
dcunninghamatbluevardotcom

SteveG769

I've got a new way to make gears on a scroll saw
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:10:48 AM »
Thank you Dave.  I didn't realize the number of people who are into making wooden geared clocks was that low.  I'm sure that there are a lot more who want to and have less experience who are not a part of that number.  I agree that there are probably more people who would be more interested in the techniques used for making the shells and the helix forms, it's just that the technique I came up with for the gears seems more ground-breaking and useful than those for the other two.

I like your suggestion about magazine articles.  I'll look into that.  

Steve