Author Topic: Looking for specialty wood or...  (Read 5763 times)

Offline ub52

Looking for specialty wood or...
« on: September 10, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »
Hello All,

For a while now, I've had a set of plans for an Eli Terry 30 hour wood works movement.  I rediscovered them whilst cleaning out the shop. I have local suppliers for all the materials specified with one exception. The wood specified for the pinions and arbors is Laurel. I've not heard of this species and have not been able to find a source. Would anyone know of a source for this species, which I gather is native to the northeast. If not, can someone recommend an alternative.

Thanks,
Bob

Offline Reid Heilig

Re: Looking for specialty wood or...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »
The Laurel that was normally used in the NE is a form of Kalmia. Rhododenron is closely related. In the South I use dogwood. I cut it in late Dec. or early Jan on the dark of the moon. Chose straight round, the more nearly round the better, with the fewest vestigal limbs knots as possible. Second growth dogwood is best. Cut into 2 or 3 foot lenghts, remove bark as this is a great hiding place for burrowers, double paint cut ends with heavy coats of woodworkers glue and then in a damp free unheated area hang upside down by a string so that the part of the tree that was uppermost is now down (this is very important to achieving check-free pinion wood). This is a very old technique used in northern Europe to dry ski pole stock and is not some half brained tale. Holly can also be processed the same way and is very nearly equal to dogwood for pinion stock. It will take at least  a year for the wood to dry and stabilize, longer for thicker pieces. By the way both holly and dogwood in larger pieces cut once dry transverse make fantastic wheel stock. The advantage here is most wild dogwood and holly is very slow in growing so the annual rings are very tight and close. To get cherry quarter sawn stock equal to what was available in the early 1800s is nearly impossible. Drying technique and timing of cutting is the key! Reid Heilig

Offline Yokkiey

Re: Looking for specialty wood or...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:53:53 AM »
Would be great if many people came to read and published.