Author Topic: Anyone Selling Their Clocks  (Read 1949 times)

Offline KKC

Anyone Selling Their Clocks
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
I see plans upon plan upon plans of clocks on the web.  But cannot find anyone selling them.  So is everyone building them but not selling them or am I just not looking in the right spot?

I'm just curious if anyone is making any money doing this? And if so what kind of money?

Or is the money making in selling the plans?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:21:09 PM by KKC »

Offline steve323

Re: Anyone Selling Their Clocks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »
Hi KKC,

There are a few people selling completed clocks.  I recall seeing one instance sitting in a clock shop selling for around $3000.  A few people sell laser cut kits and Woodline sells a pin router kit and templates to help cut your own gears.

A couple of people sell plans.  The most common appears to be Clayton Boyer.  It would be interesting to know how many plans are actually purchased.  I suspect that it is a very small market. 

Steve

Offline dwarak17

• Java training in chennai
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:41:34 PM »
There are many web site where you can place classified ads. Some may charge a fee; others are free. There usually is the advantage of being able to exchange emails first before having to talk by phone, and your field of potential buyers may be much greater. You'll still have to deal with the same security issues if you are going to show the clock in your home. If the buyer lives at a distance you might avoid home security problems by transacting the sale without actually meeting them in person. You will have other issues to deal with, including sending or emailing photos of the clock, shipping and payment collection.

Offline KKC

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Hi KKC,

There are a few people selling completed clocks.  I recall seeing one instance sitting in a clock shop selling for around $3000.  A few people sell laser cut kits and Woodline sells a pin router kit and templates to help cut your own gears.

A couple of people sell plans.  The most common appears to be Clayton Boyer.  It would be interesting to know how many plans are actually purchased.  I suspect that it is a very small market. 

Steve

Exactly... All I can find are plans and kits.  No complete clocks.  And like you said.  How many of those plans are being sold?

Offline KKC

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
There are many web site where you can place classified ads. Some may charge a fee; others are free. There usually is the advantage of being able to exchange emails first before having to talk by phone, and your field of potential buyers may be much greater. You'll still have to deal with the same security issues if you are going to show the clock in your home. If the buyer lives at a distance you might avoid home security problems by transacting the sale without actually meeting them in person. You will have other issues to deal with, including sending or emailing photos of the clock, shipping and payment collection.

Set up and adjustment would be the other issue.  Joe Schmoe isn't going to know how to hang and adjust the clock to get it working accurately. 

Offline steve323

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »
Set up and adjustment would be the other issue.  Joe Schmoe isn't going to know how to hang and adjust the clock to get it working accurately.

That is a problem with wooden clocks.  People are used to things working without fiddling with them.  Even winding once a week is a hassle to most people after they get used to battery operated clocks that run for 1-2 years on a single battery.  Many of the wooden clocks only last 26 hours.  Some are only 8 hours. 

My hope is for at least 8 day operation for my next design.  I will not have wood pivots.  They may have hidden miniature ball bearings.

Steve