Author Topic: Self introduction and request.  (Read 16115 times)

Offline ub52

Self introduction and request.
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:22:09 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I recently joined this forum. This is my first post and I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Bob Landry and I live in San Diego, CA. I'm a woodworker/renaissance hobbyist who has been on hiatus from the fibrous medium for many years but recently got re-inspired by stumbling upon some videos on YouTube of some of Clayton Boyers wooden clocks.

In the mid 70’s I subscribed to a new magazine, Fine Woodworking, and remember being blown away by an image in the first issue of a floor clock made entirely of wood. The clock was designed and built by John Gaughan. A later issue, in 1978 had an article, which further inflame my desire to attempt to build one myself. However, being a young chap of meager resources, it was beyond my ability at the time to fund such a project. Not so now, and thanks to Clayton Boyer from whom I purchased plans to his #6, I’ve started construction on my first wooden clock. I’ve gotten most of the pieces cut but still need finish sanding. It’s been a more ambitious undertaking then I original anticipated but it has been an extremely enjoyable process nonetheless.

This brings me to the reason for this post. In my research to get a better understanding of clock making and horology in general I have scoured the web for resources on the subject. My ultimate desire is to realize a finished product of my own design and to that end I’ve been devouring as much reference material as I can find. A couple of resources which I have found personally illuminating, are Hugh Sparks’ Designing Cycloidal Gears at http://www.csparks.com/watchmaking/CycloidalGears/index.jhtml and Matthias Wandel's website which has an interactive gear template generator at http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html.

These sites and others have been the impetus for me to write some code which let me experiment with a few variables and graphically generate a wheel and pinion set which can be animated, printed out and converted to DXF for import into a CAD application. What began as an exercise to educate myself has turned into something that I think others might find useful as well.  While at this point I have a working prototype application, I am unsure of its fitness to the task. I would like to ask if anyone is interested, I can make a beta copy of the software available to you if you would be willing to provide feedback and suggestions for improvements. You can contact me at the email in my profile or send me a PM through the forum.

The program is written in FLASH CS3 using ActionScript 3 and packaged as an Adobe Air Application. In order to execute the software Adobe Air Beta 2 must be installed on your computer. You can find more info and download the free Adobe Air Beta 2 at: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/AIR. I chose this approach, as it was the path of least expenditure. Adobe Air is free, Flash Player is free, I already own Flash and have developed other Flash applications, so didn’t have to learn another language. Also, Adobe Air applications can run on both Windows and Mac platforms without being recompiled for the specific platform. That means the same copy of the software can be installed on both a Windows PC and a Mac.
Adobe Air is itself a Beta product and at this time does not correctly support printing on Mac OS x machines. A future release should be addressing this limitation.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the application running on my MacBook Pro.

http://www.screencast.com/t/rm9Zoau1

http://www.screencast.com/t/dgbEWkaIV

Thanks,
Bob Landry

mjhall

Re: Self introduction and request.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:32:01 PM »
Hi Bob,  It's been a while since you posted this, and I don't know how often you check in, but I am a Mac guy, and would be interested in a program for Mac that would generate gear trains and print them to scale.   Hope you check back and read this.  I would email directly, but you email is hidden.

Mike Hall

Offline ub52

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:14:13 AM »
Hi Mike,

I'll send you an email tonight with a link to the program.

Thanks,
Bob

mjhall

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
Thanks Bob,

Mike

Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
Many thanks for the link to the wood gears web site Bob, i should get a few hours of good reading there, Dave

Offline pcstru

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:17:39 AM »
Hi Mike,

I'll send you an email tonight with a link to the program.

Thanks,
Bob

If possible, me too!

Offline mpioth

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 04:20:01 AM »
Hi Bob,
 I am very new to horology myself and I was looking at some old posts and I saw your offer for a program that generates a dxf for gears. I would be interested in that for windows if it is still available. Please let me know and thanks.

Mike Pioth

Gasmansteve

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »
Hi Bob
I`d also like to try your app if its still available please?. BTW hows the Clayton clock come on? I assume its finished now or is it  ;)
Regards
Steve

Offline ub52

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
Hello Steve and Mike,

Thanks for the interest in my application. I originally wrote the app for my own self education using Flash and ran it locally on my machine. After it's first incarnation I thought, maybe someone else might find this useful as well, and so I thought I'd embed it in my web site. The only problem is the ability to save DXF data to your local machine is not possible with Flash for security reasons. I'm still not sure this is totally impossible. I kind of gave up on the Adobe Air approach as they, Adobe, kept updating the it requiring me to recompile the app.

I've have currently re-written it as a Mac/Intel app, (because that is what I mainly use),  and discovered and fixed a few bugs in the process. The original Flash app is still on my web site and is named Cogger. I believe the print functions work, but not the DXF output, for the security reasons mentioned above. You can access it by going to my web site at http://www.hsmjunkie.com and clicking on the Cogger link in the upper right of the UI. It's been a while since I've updated things there, so be warned. If I can find a solution to the save DXF data issue I'll update the Flash app with the bug fixes I made to the native Mac version.

If either of you have any knowledge of how to implement the ability to save data generated in a Web based Flash app to the users client I appreciate it.

Regards,
Bob

Offline ub52

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »
Hello All,

Since my previous post I've been puzzling over how to fix the save DXF in my Web App Cogger. Well I think I found a way and have uploaded a new version. It's at http://www.hsmjunkie.com/cogger. I did some quick tests in Firefox on my Mac and IE on my work PC and both seem to work. I'd appreciate it if someone would verify they are able to download.

Thanks,
Bob

Offline rus

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »
Hello
I've played with "Cogger" a bit this past year and I too have had some trouble saving as a dxf.  But tried it just now, and was able to save and import into Turbocad.  Works like a dream! I'm using a Mac and Firefox. 
Thanks so much
Rus
Rus

Offline ub52

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 09:21:31 PM »
Hi Rus,

Awesome, I appreciate your taking the time to give it another try. FYI, due to some coding errors on my part, the profile generated by this version is slightly off. I discovered this when developing the Mac specific version. Now that I know the DXF save functionality works for the Flash version, I'll roll the bug fixes into Cogger. I'll post here as well as at my web site when I've got it updated.

Thanks again for your assistance,
Bob

Gasmansteve

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
Hi Bob
Tried it with Sketchup 6 tonight works fine.Many thanks for doing that.
Thanks again
Steve

Offline ub52

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 03:20:07 AM »
Just an FYI, I've update Cogger on my web site at http://www.hsmjunkie.com/cogger. This update fixes a problem with the involute profile generate by the program for larger pressure angles. I've also update the gallery with images from recent projects.

Regards,
Bob

Offline ub52

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »
My apologies  :( for staying more up to date on this forum. Unfortunately it was necessary to take down my old web site. In addition I stopped developing the Adobe Air version of the app. Adobe was updating Air to frequently to keep up. I was constantly having to recompile. Being a Mac guy, I have since rewritten the application to be a native Mac app with added functionality. I've uploaded it to my new web site where it can be downloaded at http://garageshopconfessions.com/wp-content/resources/Wheel%20and%20Pinion%20Profiler.app.zip. Please note, this is a Mac Intel base application and will not run on a PC. My apologies for that, but the Air version was just to much overhead. I hope those of you with Mac's will find this useful.

Regards,

Bob Landry

P.S. Please visit my new blog where I write about my experiences in wood and metal working. It can be found at http://garageshopconfessions.com.