Author Topic: A difficult clock  (Read 13396 times)

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
A difficult clock
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:37:54 AM »
I recently spent a couple of weeks working on a clock design that somone gave me a few years ago.  I don't remember who it was but the its title is
"Wooden Clock-Works You Can Make" by Gerald Standley.  In any case Mr, Standley greatly overestimated my abilities for I was unable to make it work.  It is an interesting escapement and doesn't use any normal wheels or pinnions, just a couple of ratchet wheels.  I am not going to post the design because it has an "All rights reserved" notice on it.

JoeComunale

A difficult clock
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 06:30:29 PM »
Frankly - if JR can't make the clock work - I think there is little hope that I (or many others for that matter) could get the clock to work.

JayRay_Hughes

A difficult clock
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:05:06 AM »
I am hoping at a later point(after i build a grasshopper with weight driven) to experiment with marbles for weight.

I am also thinking about a logic not(sort of like the famous water clock) but with marbles. This may be beyond my ability though. As a truck driver though I have a lot of time to think about it. Maybe i will accidentally figure something out.

amrad

gerald standley
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 10:03:12 AM »
I have the set of plans I scanned into a PDF from a 1960's woodworking magazine, which has a page on troubleshooting. He also has a book which might give you more info, obtainable on Amazon.com. If you want the 8 page pdf email me (5mb), or I can snail mail a copy.

Clayton

Other escapements
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 06:12:49 PM »
I saw the plans listed for that clock on eBay.  I actually spent good money ($3.00, I think) for the set of plans, and he skunked me too.

I spent a few hours cutting out and assembling the clockworks, and a few weeks figuring out that I couldn't get it to run either.

It's an interesting clockworks, and I don't mind a challenge, or even a lot of frustration, but I'd rather be expending the effort on a clockworks that actually runs in the end.

It was my first "Failure" in the realm of wooden clockworks, but it's still hanging there in the shop waiting to be redeemed.  It LOOKS like it should work.

MagicOPromotion

A difficult clock
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:51:24 AM »
Is it difficult being you?
I think it's difficult being me because I'm bipolar and I can never really make up my mind so I tend to stick w/ the things I know and like. Hmmm....

This question just popped into my mind... lol.