Author Topic: Need plywood info for Clayton Boyer's clocks  (Read 10422 times)

Offline leadinglights

Need plywood info for Clayton Boyer's clocks
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:32:15 AM »
Can anybody tell me the amount and thickness of the plywood for the gears on Clayton Boyer's clocks, specifically Bird of Paradise and Model T: I have sent for the plans for these and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. Meanwhile I have a single day - tomorrow, when I can get off enough time to visit the one supplier that I have been able to identify that sells the very high quality "aircraft grade" birch Plywood. Alternatively, can anybody reccommend suppliers of good plywood in the U.K.

Offline bobledoux

Re: Need plywood info for Clayton Boyer's clocks
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:03:25 AM »
On the Bird of Paradise:

He employs Baltic birch plywood for all wood parts.

The front and back frames are made from 1/2 inch thick plywood.  Each frame is 25 3/8 inches by 13 1/8 inch.  Both could be cut from a 24 inch by 48 inch panel.

The 1/2 inch wide birch is also used for making the great wheel and pinions.

A 12 inch by 12 inch piece of 1/4 inch thick birch is used for most wheels. 

His arbors are made from 1/8 inch diameter brass rod.  He drills the wheels and pinions with a 1/8 inch diameter drill.  This results in a hard press fit of the brass rod into the wheels and pinions.  The arbors then run in 9/64 inch diameter holes in the frames.

You could convert to 12mm and 6 mm plywood for the wood components.  A 3mm brass rod might be used for arbors, drilling the wheels and pinions with a 3mm drill to generate a hard press fit. 

Offline leadinglights

Re: Need plywood info for Clayton Boyer's clocks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:22:41 AM »
Hi Bobledoux, that should be enough info go get in the stock I need - at least for a week or two.

p.s., Are you the same bobledoux who is a regular contributor to the Microchip PIC forum?