Author Topic: New technique for cutting gears.  (Read 16403 times)

Steve Garrison

New technique for cutting gears.
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:35:08 AM »
Hello everyone.  I have developed a simple new technique for making gears and have put together a video showing examples of the different kinds of gears that can be made with the technique, it is on YouTube  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmFG6unpAw4  I have the technique for sale for $30 through my web site www.stevengarrison.com on my "gears" page.

I can make straight tooth or helical gears on either a scrollsaw or tablesaw (which is not as dangerous as it might sound).  I use an Excel spreadsheet gear calculator that I created to calculate all the needed dimensions for any straight or helical gear.  It allows you to input diametral pitch, number of teeth, pressure angle, and helix angle if you are designing helical gears.  I know that most of the wooden geared clocks traditionally use straight tooth gears, but the other types could be used in other mechanisms.  The tablesaw method can use an ordinary blade for any size gear and will make the correct tooth profile consistently.

Matthias Wandel has an online gear template generator program that uses formulas for stub-tooth gears http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html  You can design a gear with my calculator, use my technique to make it, and it will line up perfectly with the (correctly scaled) printed template.  So have a look at the video and see what you think.  The technique is simple and intuitive to understand when you see it.

Steve

Chipped Tooth

Re: New technique for cutting gears.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
Hello Steve,

I like your helical cut gears.

Here is a photo of a skeleton clock built by Charles MacDowall in the mid 1800's.

Note the helical cut gears and pinion shaft/gear combination.

Perhaps your gear cutting system could be put to good use on this combination? I would encourage you to give us a bit more detail on how you make your gears? It appears that the wooden clock market is very small, but helical cut gears maybe of interest to some that view this forum.

I'm new to clock making, but I do see you have great skill in woodworking. I enjoyed looking at your webpage and was impressed with your creativity.

Chipped Tooth......

Steve Garrison

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »

Thanks for the compliment!  Sorry for the slow response, I don't check in here very often.  Wow!  That's the first clock I have seen that uses helical gears.  Yeah, I could easily cut gears like those with my technique.  Helicals aren't any harder to make than spur gears, you just have te remember that a right hand helical has to mesh with a left hand helical for parallel shafts.  You can also mesh them like a worm gear for non-parallel shafts.  I am currently working on expanding on my technique to include bevel gears. 

I have a few dozen customers who have bought the technique and everyone likes it as far as I know.  A lot them are mechanical engineers and even they are happy with it. 

Steve Garrison

www.stevengarrison.com

Offline Troy Hendricks

• multiple alarm wrist watch
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 03:17:22 AM »
I like your helical cut gears its awesome. I request please give me some about your cutting gears.
multiple alarm watch | watches with alarms

Offline jasc15

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
I remember coming across your site a few years ago.  The wood gear world is a small one.

I would love to buy one of your wood globes, but I'm afraid what it would cost me to make it worth your while.

Offline Troy Hendricks

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »
hello,
this is nice and designing face so very looking.i hope this design like you....

Offline Troy Hendricks

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:23:59 AM »
this watch so very special and looking nice. this watch my hands comfertable.