Author Topic: Drawings?  (Read 12489 times)

Offline chuckknight

Drawings?
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »
Does anyone have drawings for a grasshopper escapement?  I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

I've watched the videos, etc...but there's never enough detail to see what's actually going on...no substitute for standing in front of one, watching it work.  So, I want to build a simple one.

There is reputedly a simple grasshopper in the "wooden peg gear" clock plans...does anyone have something similar that just shows the escapement?  I would like to build a model, and watch it work.

Thanks!

-- Chuck Knight

Offline bobledoux

Re: Drawings?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »

Offline chuckknight

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
Thank you!  That document will be (I hope) most helpful.  I'll build a ring escapement first...but a grasshopper is one that I specifically wish to build.

A question, though.  It seems that most of that document deals with the design of a grasshopper.  Does noone have drawings/plans for one, that could simply be built?

I tend to learn more by first doing/observing, and then analyzing it mathematically.  I know...it's backwards...but it's how my brain works.

Thanks!

-- Chuck Knight

Offline bobledoux

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »
I built Clayton Boyer's "Bird of Paradise" clock and it is running well.  He sells plans.  Utube also has video of his clocks running.

http://lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/birdofparadisepage1.htm

Offline chuckknight

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:31:56 PM »
Funny you should mention Clayton...I have a design based on his "not for sale" timer, and will be building that escapement for my first attempt.  If it works, I'll work on the entire gear train.

This one is very beautiful, to my eye...Clayton has a gift for art-nouveaux design.  It's not an easy style to do, well.  Wish I knew how to design a compound pendulum...this would make one heck of a mantle clock, with that visible escapement.  Anyway...that sort of refinement to my own designs will come with time. 

First...I need to make a successful clock!

I really do want to make a grasshopper, but don't really want to buy a set of plans simply for the one subassembly.  I'll keep studying.

THANKS!

-- Chuck Knight