Author Topic: Troubleshooting Procedure  (Read 5489 times)

Tinker

Troubleshooting Procedure
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »
I've built the clock in the spring 07 Scrollsaw magazine and I'm having trouble making it run. The alignment is as described in the article. I searched around here on the forum but couldn't find my answers. The pallets land on top of a few teeth of the escape wheel. I have a few issues and I don't want to have to recut parts because of ignorance. Do the teeth or leaves get the first attention or the pallets' entrance and exit faces? My crutch seems too long, I guess. It seems to take a 6 inch arc of the pendulum to cause the pallets to travel far enough to work. 3 inches either side of center. Is there a progression of steps in troubleshooting to follow? I don't mind recutting parts if they are wrong, I just don't want to render one useless by working the problem from the wrong direction. It's been a great adventure so far.

Offline bobledoux

Re: Troubleshooting Procedure
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
Make certain the escape wheel is round.  Make certain the arbor is in the center.  The pallet-escape tooth contact is critical for good operation.

I'd assemble the clock without the second wheel.  Clamp a piece of cardboard so it just touches the escape wheel tooth.  Rotate the escape wheel and see if the cardboard catches each tooth equally.  If it doesn't the wheel is out of round or off center.  If you have a lathe, mount the escape wheel arbor between centers.  Carefully sand down the tips so each tooth makes contact. I use a Dremel tool with sanding drum mounted on my cross slide.  Then resand the tips to proper shape. 

Be cautious about using copies for your wheel cutting templates.  Copy machines often produce out of round images.

Its not easy to drill a perfect center hole in a plywood wheel.  My technique is to use a box.  A piece of wood is mounted on a lathe face plate.  It is turned down leaving a hole into which is tightly pressed the wheel. The tail stock is used to center drill the wheel. 

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »
Well I contacted Mr. Tovar and he set me upon the path to tick-tock land. LOL I've never met the man but he did not hesitate to help me out. He told me what I needed to check and I have had it run now for 15 minutes with no sign of stoppage. I'll be taking it apart and applying some finish. Some with no sawing experience or mechanical background may find this a daunting project but I found it quite enjoyable and will have to make at least 2 more for special gifts. I learned so much that I would be willing to tackle just about anything now. Thanks to all who have offered assistance.

Offline robecq

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »
I've just finished assembling the same clock, and am trying to get it to tick for more than a minute. I'm not sure where to start trouble shooting. I'd love if the OP is willing to share the advice he got from mark.

Offline robecq

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:15:26 AM »
Well after two escape wheels and 6 pallets, I've finally solved my problem. After searching the internet, I found an article on ESCAPEMENT MECHANICS by Mark V. Headrick. I then redesigned the pallets based on the article. The new pallets now connect with the teeth at 90' instead of the original design. The clock now runs perfectly!