Author Topic: Newbee introduction  (Read 33370 times)

Offline Rocketcaver

Re: Newbee introduction
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 08:12:29 PM »
That looks like VERY NICE wood!  It must be a pleasure to work with.
I got my 9 ply Baltic Birch today and it's SOOOO much nicer than the Home Depot stuff.
I cut a gear from it tonight and it doesn't shred on the bottom layer at all like the other stuff did.
And no voids, that's really nice.
I talked to my uncle today and mentioned my clock project.  He offered to let me borrow his DeWalt scroll saw.
Seems it's just gathering dust, he has barely used it since he bought it a few years ago.
I have no idea what model it is, but beggars can't be choosers.
It's nice to have relatives with money.  Next best thing to having it yourself.
Les

Offline bobledoux

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 07:02:07 AM »
You will like the Dewalt.  It is vibration free which is important for precise cuts.  It is considered, by many, to be the best value for the money on the market.  It matches scroll saws that cost more than $1000.

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 06:33:43 AM »
I am looking forward to using the DeWalt!
Now that I am ready to get started I have another question.
When cutting gears using the plans as a template should one cut & file "to" the line, or should the line be gone when you are finishde?
The plans I have do not say.
Les

Offline BrianC

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
Generally speaking, if the plans don't say otherwise, remove half of the line.

BrianC
BrianC

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »
Oh, I see.
Thanks.
Les

joguilt09

Newbee introduction
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »
I am brand new here. It appears to be a
 fantastic place

Im glad.

And to think I wound up on this forum
as I was searching for google images How uncanny is that?

I hope  to share my thoughts here

Best of luck

Offline Luka Jakic

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 01:00:54 PM »
Hello guys
I am new here.
English is not my mothers language so it can happen that I will spell something incorect but I will try to write So it can be readable.
I am from Slovenia and I am a woodworker/cabinet maker with my own firm.
I have done only one project for now.
I found garrys gresham web site few years ago. I fall in love with his CLOCK 2003.
Back than I was stil in secondary school.
Then it came last year and we had this subject projecting and managing.
We had to think up one project that we would draw and then make all production papirs.After that we wuld make that product at practical teaching.

I chosee wooden gear clock.
All the teachers looked at me like I am a little crazy.

For the gears I used garrys clock2003 but I have made them 60% larger than original
But for the base I did something crazy I used wall clock gear and inplement it in standing clock.
I make up my own design and dimension.
At that itme clock did not run.
For the face of clock I used maple and for stand I used american walnut.
Gears were made from acacia wenner from which I made plywood 12mm thick
All this was cut out and driled with HOLZHER CNC Machining center with 4axis.

And now I finaly decided that I am going to finishe this project.
Gears did not turn to be well made from acacia weener they all look like propelers.
I will change the material I will use KERROCK something like Corean fi anyone knows it. It is absolutly homogenus
And then I will also use 10mm or 12mm metal rods for carrying the gears and ball bearings on each side of this rood
For the finish first pendulum is too short I have to make it longer and I will move it to the tip of the triangel.

Pendulum is shaped as a trianfel cut out of ball pictures comming sun and weights are triangels all this is made of american walnut.

But I have next problem the weights.
One will go dow the slope on ball berings for less friction one was designed to fall free biu I do not know how much weight I have to put on them??
Here is the 3D view http://www.datoteka.si/file/5879/clock-2003-modified-pdf.html

this is from face http://www.datoteka.si/file/5880/Lux225-jpeg.html
This are gears from side http://www.datoteka.si/file/5881/Lux226-jpeg.html
This is close look   http://www.datoteka.si/file/5882/Lux227-jpeg.html
And dis is direct face   http://www.datoteka.si/file/5883/Lux228-jpeg.html

As you can see ther are weights and pendulum missing.
It is simple reason for that. I have to disasemble it and then correct my problems and then asemble it back again.

This is it for now.
I will write to yo when i start my repair.

Greetings

Luka
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:04:18 PM by Luka Jakic »

Offline Joe Redburn

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »
Rocketcaver
 I have copy of the Scrollsaw Mag and would trade you a copy of the plans for a copy of the plans for your Thomas plans.
I have a woodworking shop in SW Florida and  I use a home built CNC machine to build clocks and clock parts.
http://www.woodenclockparts.com
If you ever need precision parts made just drop me a line.
Regards
Joe

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
Hello again folks!
Lots  of stuff happened since I was on here last.   I moved for one, and most of my workshop stuff is still in boxes and piles here and there.
Work is progressing on the new workshop though, and hopefully I'll get everything lined out soon so I can take up some of my old projects.
I never got much further with my clock project, that's something I really want to get back to.  I found my plywood last weekend out in the barn, and it has all warped, even the pricey Baltic Birch, darn it! 
I'll be spending some time on the forum here in the next couple weeks or so, catching up on what everyone has been up to, then I might have a few more questions as I get my shop set back up.
I just thought I would check in and say "hi".

Offline chuckknight

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 09:28:51 AM »
Well, well, well...welcome back!

I'm in a similar situation.  The mind is willing, but I keep running out of hours in which to do hobbies.  Maybe my first clock should have 26 hours, instead of 24?  :D

Just got a benchtop belt sander at Harbor Freight, this week, with sanding of pallet faces in mind, so maybe my craftsmanship will improve.  Maybe, in fact, I might be able to actually finish an escapement!

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »
Thanks!
Which HF belt sander did you get?  I have been looking at such things, I need to make up my mind and lay down some cash.  I would be interested in a review of your sander.

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Looking again at my Baltic plywood, it's not warped after all.  It's these dratted lineless bifocal glasses, they make everything look crooked.
I had gotted used to them and completely forgotten about that effect until I started looking at drawings and "straight" lines again.

Offline chuckknight

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
Thanks!
Which HF belt sander did you get?  I have been looking at such things, I need to make up my mind and lay down some cash.  I would be interested in a review of your sander.
I got this one.  http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html

It finally is out of the box, and has been powered up.  Construction seems generally pretty good, and a jeweler friend uses an identical unit for roughing shapes, etc.  In fact, he used it to grind down a wristwatch dial, just the other day.  Seems pretty decent.

But, I've not actually *used* it yet, myself.

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Oh, cool!  That's very similar to the Grizzly one I was looking at.
Please do review it after you have used it a bit.

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
Sigh.
Here it is nearly 2 years later and I still haven't built a clock.  2 surgeries and a host of other real life things keep knocking up all of my time and money.  I hope all you kind folks are still here.