Author Topic: Grape vine suspension for a pendulum  (Read 15494 times)

Offline BrianC

Grape vine suspension for a pendulum
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:34:45 PM »
I’m currently testing a spring suspension for a pendulum, using grape vine wood 0.020” thick and with an hour-glass waist about 1/2" long from ¼” down to about 1/8” so the glue line is not part of the flex-line.  I’m using grapevine because my web research for flexible wood found that grape vine was a good choice, which makes sense, as it doesn’t have to support anything so rigidity is not Mother Nature’s intent.  I made a suspension (using a clock I made for my nieces’ wedding {that she’s letting me play with, ah, keep for her, until she’s able to transport it herself so it won’t get broke} as a test-bed) that so far works ok, but it was quickly made for testing and so is a bit crude so you won’t see any photos until I can make a nice one, however, I've (I hope) attached a drawing of what I wanted it to look like.

One of the advantages is that I was able to put the flex point even with the crutch pivot so there is less scrubbing.

As a wood, grape vine has large vascules so it doesn’t really look very good and I found that trying to sand it smooth was impossible — it looks like I used a poor grade of coarse sand paper and did a poor job at that.  Grape vine also has a lot of moisture in it (and warps like you wouldn’t believe), so I had to cut pieces less than 1/8” thick from a vine that was about 1 1/2” thick — the pieces that I didn’t cut had multiple splits — and let them dry a bit, not much, but then this is just a test piece and it’s thin.

Now, if I can just get Tarzan to stop swinging on the pendulum. . .

BrianC
BrianC

Offline Rocketcaver

Re: Grape vine suspension for a pendulum
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
Very interesting!
Les

Offline steve323

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:21:07 AM »
Brian,

Are your clocks 100% wood?  That looks like a good way to solve the final piece of the puzzle without using a knife edge that would most likely wear out. 

I am willing to use steel for the axles and the suspension spring.  I have heard that some old wooden clocks used leather for the pendulum suspension.  Of course leather is not wood, but at least it more natural than steel.

Steve

Offline BrianC

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »
The one I'm starting to build and testing for is this one, it's all wood except for the linen weight lines, the Tagua nut (bushings, spacers and teeth) and the lead in the weights.  Again, it's still just a drawing. :-[ ::)
BrianC

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
That's a very interesting design.
I'll show my ignorance and admit that I don't recognize the numerals.
I'd sure love to see this run.
Les

Offline BrianC

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 04:53:27 PM »
Actually, the numerals are a bit of a joke, the numbers commonly used today are called Arabic numerals, however, that is because Fibonacci saw them in Arabia and brought them to Europe where he called them Arabic - they are really Hindu (which is where the Arabs got them) - and the ones I am planning to use are true Arabic.

BrianC
BrianC

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
Ah, I see.
I thought maybe they were Klingon or Romulan.
Les

Offline BrianC

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
Well, The grape vine suspension has been running for more than a month now and still looks good.  The clock runs well with no problems at all and the grape vine piece stll looks in good condition. So far so good, now to see if I can test for whether or not it has less friction/needs less drive weight.  Although I think even if it doesn't have less friction it's still better than a sharpe stick because if I bump the clock I don't have to worry about the pivots popping out of alignment.
BrianC

Offline BrianC

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
I made a permanent grape vine suspension for my nieces clock as my sister is taking it away next week, the crude one I made worked fine, here's some pics.  I'll drill a hole through the top section to pin it to the clock frame.
BrianC

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »
Amazing.
It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the long run.  (no pun intended)

Offline BrianC

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »
I expect (actually from the first) that it will pass the test of time  ;D.  I understand the pole lathe at Plymouth Plantation has had the same wood spring pole for something like 20 years.
BrianC

Offline Sablatnic

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 04:42:34 AM »
I like it. Really. I considered using a bit of .4 mm plywood. (1/64"). I couldn't find anyone having used it before, so I used a vedge in stead. I will consider it for my next, if you don't mind. Please.

Offline BrianC

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »
Mind?  >:( why should I mind?  >:( I come up the the best idea of the century and you want to use it?  :o

so, sure, go ahead, if you want. ::)  After all, who knows, maybe it'll be called the Slater suspension, become a house hold word and I'll be (in)famous. ;)

BrianC
BrianC

Offline Rocketcaver

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »
Brian, I have been gone a while, are you still using the grape vine suspension?  I'd be interested in an update.

Offline enewbold

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:11:17 PM »
I too would like an update, please.

Thank you,
Ed