Author Topic: constant force springs  (Read 7642 times)

Dan Dimock

constant force springs
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:34:40 AM »
I would like to know if there is any type of escapement that will work to control the power if you used a constant force spring for the power source?

jack

Re: constant force springs
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:01:44 PM »
I am new to the clock building hobby and also new to this forum. But I remember that clocks and watches that use wound springs for their energy source have an accuracy problem due to the fact that typical wound springs have vastly changing torque as the sprig unwinds. It seems to me that the constant force spring can be used to generate constant torque and should be benificial to the accuracy of any escapement. Of course I am speaking  theoretically since I have never built  a sprinng driven clock. Weights are what I am comfortable with,and these escapements have constant torque over their entire operating range.

peraborsera

constant force springs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »
please let me know how the install goes and if there are any issues. I look forward to the pics

Offline Joshfonbigg

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
I want to find out more information here.

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 12:03:11 PM »
I have used constant force springs for my last two clocks and they work very well.  They do not require barrels  and allow one to make shelf clocks  since no weight drop is needed.  And they are very long running so 8 day clocks are easier.