Author Topic: Excel Spreadsheet for Grasshopper  (Read 20230 times)

JayRay_Hughes

Excel Spreadsheet for Grasshopper
« on: September 10, 2005, 10:03:50 AM »
Here it is. This an Excel file based on Guy Aydlett’s math and directions of the Grasshopper escapement.
It has the math stuff done and a section below for rapidly CADing the grasshopper after you have made changes to variables. I could CAD the layout lines in about 2 minutes. The rest is up to the CADer/Artist.

http://www.jtmultimedia.com/jay/grasshoppermathrev1.xls

Would be glad to take suggestions. It may not be perfect. Please note any mistakes.

D.Tholf

Excel Spreadsheet for Grasshopper
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »
no way to paste an example - its an excel file which you change as needed.

Offline GeorgK

Re: Excel Spreadsheet for Grasshopper
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
Does anybody have this excel sheet? Please could you upload it to the forum? Thank you

Georg

Offline jltrent

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »

Georg,

If what you're looking for is a means to generate the profile of a grasshopper escapement, as an alternative, I created and uploaded a free software utility in the "Tools" section that, among other profiles, generates the grasshopper escapement based on Guy Adylett's math...

R, Jon

Offline GeorgK

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Hello Jon,

thanks for the great tool.

Georg

Offline John Hilgenberg2

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »
I have been working with the grasshopper spreadsheet posted by JayRay, though I'm not sure where I found it, since the download link seems no longer to work.

I've been puzzled by the formula in cell A6.  It refers to cell B2, the pallet span, which already is defined as integer + 0.5, but the formula then adds another 0.5, seemingly double-counting.  This results in an apparently incorrect pallet span angle as well as output values that disagree with Aydlett's table on page 266.  Removing the 0.5 from either the formula or from the input cell brings most of these values into line with Aydlett, though still differing modestly in cells 6D, 6J, and 6K.  Perhaps I'm using an earlier, uncorrected version of this tool, but it's all I can find.

Has anyone else been using this spreadsheet who might be able to shed some light on these issues or to post a corrected version?

I have looked at the Radial Vector Tool posted on the forum, but there seems to be no numeric output and no way to get an output in .dxf format, which I need since I have no CNC tools.

Regards, John Hilgenberg

Offline jwwells

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to clock building. I'm very much in a learning phase and am looking for inspiration and knowledge. I stumbled on this thread and was hoping the spreadsheet would aid in my understanding of the grasshopper movement. Unfortunately the spreadsheet is gone and I can't find it anywhere on the web. So no alternative but to read and understand the paper "Anatomy of a Grasshopper" and create a new spreadsheet.

You can find it here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2kCbsCJVg2gTUtzaVhjR1JOY0k/edit?usp=sharing

If you find it useful, have questions, or discover errors then please let me know.

John.

Offline trsleigh

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 02:57:36 AM »
Hi John

Sounds useful, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be shared.Google says access denied. :(

Offline trsleigh

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:45:41 AM »
Hi John

Now unlocked ok, many thanks.

I recently found Guy Aydlett's paper and have been reading it in prepararation for when I tackle a grassgopper. Your xls will be a great help in brining this project to fruition!
As an aside, when reading Aydlett's paper he referenced an article in the Antiquarian Horological Society journal from about 1971. So I've signed up to subscribe to their quarterly "Aniquarian Horology" journal. Pretty heavy duty stuff but fascinating nonrtheless.
http://www.ahsoc.org/

Offline mfo

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
Before I found this forum I've made an excel calculator for three different grasshopper designs, based on the works of Aydlett (1972) and also Heskin (2009). In the later case you don't have all the designing freedom as shown in his book but I think the calculation works fine. Please notice I'm not a clockmaker just an amateur. If you enjoy the worksheets or find errors let me know. Best regards.

Link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B42wnSBIZv4FUXMyQ0hkVnRtZFU/edit?usp=sharing