Author Topic: Three Ply Plywood  (Read 5976 times)

Offline Reid Heilig

Three Ply Plywood
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:33:27 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with making and using a three ply plywood composed of 3 plies of 1/4 inch flat sawn black walnut built up at right angles to the adjoining ply? This would be used for a 5 inch by 8 inch door frame of 1 1/4 inch wide rails and styles in the hood or bonnet side doors on a tall case clock with pull up wooden works. I have had the works built and running for a year with too frequent fouling of the weight suspension cords with the pull up cords. This is a 30 hour time and strike Hoadley inspired set of works.  As I am 70 years old removing the hood each time this fouling occurs is just too much and the 2 doors would allow me to untangle the fouled cables without moving the hood off the waist. The reason I am exploring this plywood design is to try to achieve the strongest door frame design that would allow me to use 1/8 inch glass in the door frames. By the way the doors are tombstone design which complicates the need for strenght in the arched rail at the top. Thanks for any information or suggestions that enables me to use this tombstone door design. Reid Heilig