Author Topic: Bearings for a wooden clock?  (Read 32831 times)

Offline hunter

Re: Bearings for a wooden clock?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »
long sought this information, thank you guys for the post!

Offline macooxi

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 07:14:39 AM »
Thanks for your great community, perfect!

jordans

Offline Neex

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 04:33:21 AM »
Loved this post Rabbit, thanks for sharing.

I had a similar experience with ball bearings - not great. Mind you I was making from scrap components, so I was using sealed 608's (skateboard bearings) which were available but massively oversized - in the end I was pretty convinced that it was the viscosity of the grease that made it suffer the most. In retrospect I should have blasted the grease out and seen how they faired... might have been ok since the application is relatively minimal duty with light wooden gears.

Now I'm using PTFE tube inserts in the wooden gears, on stainless steel axles - the coefficient is fantastic. But thanks for your warning on creep in the high load areas. For those areas I am about to attempt acrylic bushes since I can laser cut them quickly and the acrylic surface is incredibly hard.... I haven't seen much work in this area so I'll let you know how I get on.

And completely agree on the logic of using different bearings for different areas. Ultimately each pivot handles a different range of forces... so ideally the bearing should match the pivot, a universal bearing will only ever attract inefficiencies.

Offline panistefanin

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
Hello! I really liked your story. Thank you!
mybestwestern

Offline Zerlinda

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 01:21:35 AM »
Very fond of, I have been looking for

Offline Merwan

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:43 PM »
Me too !

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 06:23:36 AM »
I recently completed a wooden version of the "Big Wheel Skeleton Cock" by John Wilding.  I used ball bearings for the big wheel and delrin for the rest.  I found that 8 leaves was just too small for the first pinion so I doubled it to 16.  It was in the power train so had no affect on the time train.  I used a pair of constant force springs for power and the clock surprised me by running 12 days on a full wind.  I don't know how long it will last but is has kept good time so far.  I used a .04 English module so I didn't have to raise the ceiling.