Author Topic: Wooden fusees  (Read 5357 times)

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
Wooden fusees
« on: September 29, 2005, 05:05:54 AM »
Rabbit has requested my method for making a wood fusee and although it is far from perfect, this is how I have done it.  I got the idea from one of Bill Smiths manuals.  It is essentially the way they are made of metal.

I first turn the shape with the part  mounted on a mandrel.  I then mount it in my metal lathe and set the treading gears for 5 or 6 TPI.  I have built a fixture for the tool post which holds my Foredom tool and will, smoothly, slide in and out.

Then with a 1/8 ball nose end mill in the hand piece, and a special little foot attached, which limits the depth, I turn the lathe spindle by hand, using a big crank I have made for that purpose, and with my other hand, push the cutter in so that it take a light pass along the profile.  I will make several passes, adjusting the foot, until the proper depth is reached.  It takes a little practice but it will work.

It occurs to me that it might be better to use a pivot arm and mount it so that the cutter come down from the top and then gravity would provide the force to hold the cutter against the wood.