Author Topic: A new forum on wooden works clocks  (Read 38275 times)

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
A new forum on wooden works clocks
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:47:56 PM »
From time to time, I get calls and Emails from other crazies who are building or wanting to build wood clocks.  I have started this forum so that we could share our triumphs and disasters and help each other find better ways to ruin our lives with this unfortunate obsession.  My hope is that a gratifying number of people will post here and that I will be able to learn some new stuff.  I have been fooling around with this hobby for a number of  years and have discovered some eternal truths that I am willing to share and I hope that some of you will do the same.

I will get some pictures in the gallery as soon as I figure out how to do it, and I will notify those of you I already know who are not currently institutionalized.  With any luck, we can all have some fun with this.

JayRay_Hughes

Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
Hello everybody, I have been waiting for somebody to post but it seems that I will be the first, other than jrbeall. I mean were do you start? What do you say? This is the first time I have ever posted on a Board. I would like to thank jrbeall for putting up this board. I feel this is an excellent place to have it. The NAWCC seems to have nothing on there boards and what better place to discuss and explore than with other woodworkers dealing with the same issues and challenges that wood brings.  

Last, I have no information on the grasshopper escapement. Basicly,  I have started to reverse engineer from what photos I have. My thought on this is the more understanding I have, the more walls are knocked down, and I am able to let my artistic side come out and dictate the design, not some blueprints.  

J.R. Beall

happy to hear from you
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 02:08:19 PM »
Thanks for posting and congatulations on being the first.   I will try to get some grasshopper material up this weekend.  I have had to attend to some other importent business stuff lately and haven't been working on any clocks.

JayRay_Hughes

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 03:24:22 PM »
WOW!!!! That was fast. I am stoked about this forum. I guess in my mind I am thinking about the power of 50 minds working together to get the results of 200. Not to mention that the originator has knowledge of the escapement in question.

Side note: I haven’t had any luck with the NAWCC as of yet on the monograph by Guy Aydlett.

A little more about me. As a truck driver, I have a lot of time to think. It is responsible for what my wife calls the truck driver gene. We don’t lie, just tell stories. Of course, something is outrageous enough to know that it’s a story. Just remember, something is true but as one of my favorite phrases goes. ”Know body knows, It’s a mystery.” I mean I am tempted to tell a story right now about a Super Trooper that pulled over 5 truckers and a four wheeler at once and then in the end got arrested by the CIA. Something is true but by the time I tell it again it will have change also.

Offline rabbit

• http://flashpages.prodigy.net/rpirtle/index.html
I'll be posting...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 09:51:51 AM »
I've built over 30 wooden clocks over the past few years, and I love to share what I've learned. This forum seems like a great idea; thanks for creating it!
I have a craze for the unusual, so I've built some pretty unique clocks. (My website shows only a few...) But most of what I've learned is applicable to any wooden machine.
I will post my experience with bearings, escape mechanisms (grasshopper and many others), wood/finishing, compound pendulums, and general techniques/tools, since these seem to be topics of current interest. I don't have a lot of time to sit at the computer and write - I'd rather be playing or working - but I will write and post what I can, when I can.
Thanks again for the forum. I've already learned and been inspired!
- rabbit
- rabbit

Helmut Reinhardt

Article on reproducing pre-H1 Harrison Clock by Andrew King
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 02:43:47 PM »
In my searches for Grasshopper lore I found a well-illustrated article in the June 1999 issue of TRADITIONAL WOODWORKING, a UK mag, where Andrew King is shown building his 2d clock working from the original Harrison wood-wheeled clock and Harrison's own descriptions. It has useful graphs, fotos and diagrams on the Grasshopper and the going and striking trains and suspension cheek assembly.Quizzedby the reporter re what he might charge to make another one, he finally said 25,000 (and that is UK pounds sterling). I offer the reference in the hope it might inspire someone.

Offline Reid Heilig

Thank you
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 02:33:06 PM »
I can not tell you how happy I am that you created this Forum. I am a novice working on my first clock, a Silas Hoadley 8 hr.tall clock movement and as a woodworker with no metal working background I am having to venture into many new areas.  At least my wood is becoming very well seasoned. I guess I am a glutton for punishment but I am trying to do this as it was done in the late 18th century. If there are any metal workers who would consider doing some small jobs for us woodworkers such as cutting an escapement wheel or making some fly cutters for cutting pinion leaves, please let us know. Again this is an answer to my prayers. Thank you again! Reid

Offline dalphin1964

Hello
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 06:16:33 PM »
I would like to say "Hello to all members" and thankyou JR Beall for a great forum.
I'm just finishing my second clock. "Thomas wooden clock" it's very basic but a start. My first was completed many years ago as a high school project, it never ran more than 2 minutes.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 02:39:34 PM »
Hi Everyone, may i say thanks for the new maths for the grasshopper esc from this site. I think i might have taken the information for granted and used the layout at the bottom of the article as a lazy mans way of doing things. I used the layout for a 2" dia scape wheel with 30 teeth and using the calculator, i multiplied all info by .9. on the drawing board i find that tangent lines no longer hold true, help, regards Dave

joguilt09

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
Dave
I like the new look. Sorry I couldnt respond to your emails, Ive been kinda busy ish galivanting around.
I did look at your portal and found it quite interesting, though couldnt work out how to use it - again I was a bit too busy to ask.
What happened to it?
Graham

IAF

Re: A new forum on wooden works clocks
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
I am a furniture and wooden objects conservator. The museum service I work for has one of John Harrison's precision pendulum-clocks in its collections. You can see pictures of it in the web gallery below:

http://gallery.me.com/ianfraser3#100344

Offline Reid Heilig

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »
This posting was a great eye opener for me. I really got a lot of info just from seeing both the movement and case posting. Is there a more detailed explanation with these fantastic pictures both for the movement and the case. Thank you very much for your sharing. Reid

IAF

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 08:58:43 AM »
No problem, Reid. I am project managing the display and interpretation of this clock for a new permanent display at Leeds City Museum, in Yorkshire, England. We are looking at it all being ready some time inb 2011. I wrote an article for the Furniture History Society, August 2009, it is on the web gallery below:

http://gallery.me.com/ianfraser3#100367

There is a little more about Harrison on this wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison

Jonathan Betts's little book, "Harrison" is very good, so is William Laycock's "The Lost Science of John "Longitude" Harrison" if you can manage to find a copy. The 1993 Harvard University Quest for Longitude conference postprints are also excellent; William Andrewes, editor.

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »
Ian,

Thank you so much for your posting.  Ir is of great interest on this forum because of our extensive interest in Harrison and the Grass Hopper escapement.  I have built several such escapements and Harrison is one of my great heroes.  In the pictures of the movement, one can see the roller pinions for which he was also famous.  I can't imagine working in oak but he handled it beautifully.  Thanks again and please keep us informed of further work

JR

IAF

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »
Hello Jr,
Will keep the forum posted. Where are you guys based, anyway, is it in the United Kingdom?

Ian Fraser