Author Topic: Radial Vector Tool...  (Read 28250 times)

Offline rabbit

• http://flashpages.prodigy.net/rpirtle/index.html
Re: Radial Vector Tool...
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »
i too hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're wrong, Dave.
the pallet carrier pivot ("fulcrum") can be moved anywhere around the escapement. the only thing affected is the location of the counterweights, which pcstru addressed.
i've built an "upside-down" grasshopper (escape wheel on top) with NO counterweights. Guy Adlet's dissertation on the grasshopper is the best i know of, but it even doesn't tell the whole story. there are infinite variations, some surprising.
and, pcstru - your clock is BEAUTIFUL! i especially like the frame; so much that i'm going to rip you off  on my next clock. (imitation is a sincere form of flattery.)
- rabbit

Offline pcstru

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
pcstru - your clock is BEAUTIFUL! i especially like the frame; so much that i'm going to rip you off  on my next clock. (imitation is a sincere form of flattery.)

Thanks rabbit. Rip away! The clocks on your website have provided much inspiration to me over the years so it's an honour to be able to return a small measure of that.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 04:51:08 AM »
Just trying to give some constructive advice and if your happy with it-----, its not the first time i have designed something and then a while later did not like the look of it, my mistakes are usualy costly engraving brass and high quality carbon steel but i have destroyed them and started again, all the best David

Offline pcstru

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »
Just trying to give some constructive advice and if your happy with it-----, its not the first time i have designed something and then a while later did not like the look of it, my mistakes are usualy costly engraving brass and high quality carbon steel but i have destroyed them and started again, all the best David

Ok, thanks for the advice. I was just a bit curious, when you said it was 'wrong' I assumed you meant it wouldn't work (or would be horribly inaccurate/inefficient) for some reason. I've seen some your work you've linked to and it's amazing stuff, so any advice always welcome :-).

Offline GeorgK

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
Realy great job. Is it possible to add the option to use mm? On my german Windows the , has to be a dot to work. Is it possible to get the source code to make the modifikations and to add some more funktions?

Thank you Georg

Offline jltrent

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 01:21:44 AM »

Georg,

1) With respect to the use of "," as the decimal separator, I can fix that.

2) With respect to the use of millimeters (as opposed to inches), to clarify, are you referring to both the input parameters and the resulting file formats (ie, both SVG and AI)?

3) As to adding some more functions, I presume you're referring to additional vector profiles?  If so, all the profiles are individual VBScripts, stored in the RadialScripts folder.  There's nothing prohibiting you from creating your own scripts, although I will have to document how to go about creating new scripts.

By the way, I'm a bit indisposed right now, so won't be able to make the necessary changes until about two weeks from now...

Jon

Offline jltrent

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:02 PM »

Per previous post, the Radial Vector Generator has been modified to:

1) support the regional decimal separator of a comma, and

2) support input parameters in terms of either inches and millimeters.  Note, though, that all vector output files make use of points (ie, 72 points per inch).

The updated tool has been attached to the first post of this thread as "Radial Vector Generator v1.3.zip"...

Offline John Hilgenberg2

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »
In order to incorporate the output of the radial vector tool in my drawings, I need either the numerical outputs like those provided by the old spreadsheet, or a dxf formatted file.  The problem with the spreadsheet is that there seem to be some unresolved errors.  This leaves me with Aydlett's drawing layout method, which I am proceeding to do, but it would be splendid if anyone could point the way to use the output of the radial vector tool in .dxf, not only for the grasshopper but for the other useful profiles as well.

John Hilgenberg

Offline jltrent

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
John,

Using the Radial Vector Tool, you can save the resulting grasshopper profile as a SVG file, and then open it up in Inkscape (freely available), and save as a DXF file.  In a quick test, I was then able to open up the resulting DXF file in OpenOffice Draw (also freely available), and it appears to work.

Another alternative, although a bit more unconventional, is to open up the resulting SVG file in notepad, and copy the raw numerical output...

Jon
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:38:40 AM by jltrent »

Offline John Hilgenberg2

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
Thank you, Jon!  Inkscape was the translator I was looking for, and it seems to work, subject to adjusting the scale.

John

Offline Dennis Hill

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
Hello, do you happen to have a Mac version of your tool?
thx, Dennis

Offline jltrent

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »

The only platform supported is Windows.  I know what I'm about to say might be considered sacrilege, but it might be worth trying to run it in Wine on the Mac.  No guarantee that it will work, but worth a try...

Offline Dennis Hill

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »
I actually tried to run it under CrossOver which uses WINE, but it didn't work because some component was missing.
Do you happen to have any plans for a grasshopper escapement?
thx, Dennis

Offline jltrent

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »

Take a look under "General > The Grasshopper escapement > The Grasshopper Escapement revealed".  There, JR posted an excellent resource authored by Guy Aydlett that I based all the calculations on.

By the way, what component was missing when you attempted to run the tool in CrossOver?

Offline Dennis Hill

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »
The message from Crossover for "wheelProfileGenerator" was "msscript.ocx or one of it's components was missing". This Crossover environment is configured to run WinXP. Thanks for the info on the Grasshopper document. I'm reading through it now and putting the formulas into Excel.
thx, Dennis