Author Topic: First Time  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Joe Redburn

First Time
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
Sitting here half asleep I thought I would introduce myself.
I am an old man, retired from 50 years in the construction business, another 5 as a cabinet shop owner.  I had my joints  eaten up by Arthritis, my motor shills went South with Polymyositus and bypass surgery took its toll a few years ago.  I still get around even if it is slower than I want it to be. 
My son and I owned a Cabinet shop until the housing business in South Florida fell in a hole.  We still have a wood working shop set up in his 2000 sq ft shop and we just got our small CNC machine up and running about a month ago.
I bought Swoopy plans from C. +Boyer a few years ago and managed to get most of the stuff cut out but the gears were more than I could manage.  I tried fret saws, band saws, routers, drill presses and could not get them to run.
The CNC changed that.  I can now make gears from 3 mm to about 300 mm in involute or Cycloid configuration and in any module size,.  I have a bunch of Walnut, Cherry and Maple left over from the Cabinet Shop and I make my own plywood by resawing it  and glueing back together.  I use a vacuum press to squeeze it together and I am getting better and better at it.  I cut most of the slabs to 1.5 mm and make 4 ply and 8 ply to cut the parts out of.
I lost parts of my Swoopy over the years as I moved stuff around and have had to search through the videos of other peoples clocks to make sure I had everything.  I put all the parts  into Auto Cad and will recut everything from there.
If any of you need pieces or parts cut, I am willing to cut them for you.  I can use store bought model ply or build it out of hardwood. 
Regards,
Joe

Offline pcstru

Re: First Time
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:30:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum Joe. It's very low traffic but never less a fantastic resource for those of us who have been sucked into building wooden clocks.

CNC is a game changer in the workshop. I doubt I would have built any clocks if it wasn't for CNC.  Your post begs one question - did you finally get that swoopy completed?

Offline Joe Redburn

Re: First Time
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
pcstru,
No, not yet.  I need to make/buy more ply for the clock and I keep coming up with all this cool stuff to build.  So I take some scrap and run a trial and that leads to another project.  It helps me build up my skills.
Climbing the learning curve for Rhino Cad/Com is a chore for a 75 year old man.
But I'm having the time of my life.
Regards
Joe