Author Topic: First-timer seeking advice choosing first clock  (Read 5926 times)

Offline SympatheticAardvark

First-timer seeking advice choosing first clock
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:59:18 PM »
Hi all!

I saw a YouTube video of Clayton Boyer's Tempo and it was all over.
My fascination has only increased- to the point now where I have fired up my dad as well.  For my birthday he agreed to embark upon the journey of building a wooden clock with me.  We both are mechanically inclined in our own ways, and have fabricated countless objects having to do with everything from RC aircraft to complicated electronics to farm machinery to robotics.  My dad's current project is turning a 1925 Chevy into a hot rod.

I have every confidence that we will be successful, but imagine my joy to find this forum.  I have always been a huge fan of seeking the wisdom of those who have gone before me (what that loosely translates into is: I like learning from other people's mistakes).

My first obstacle is, of course, choosing the plans for our first clock.  I narrowed the choices down to 5, and now seek anyone's input- preferably from those who have built one or more of these clocks and can speak from experience.  The 5 are:

-Simplicity by Clayton Boyer
 -Ascent by Jeff Schierenbeck
 -MLT-10 by Mark Tovar
 -WC5 by J Randle
 -Clock 7 by Brian Law

We may be leaning toward Simplicity, if for no other reason it is my mom's favorite (and the clock will most likely be displayed in her foyer).  Any advice/words of wisdom are welcomed with open arms.
Thanks for accepting me into this great community!
~Kaleb

Offline Joe Redburn

Re: First-timer seeking advice choosing first clock
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »
I am in the process of building 6 each  of Boyers Swoopy for Xmas gifts.  I have a CNC machine so it is not that big a project.
It is difficult to find a better set of plans anywhere and the finished product is lovely to look at.
All the clocks can be built with a minimum of tools.
The more tools you have the faster and easier it becomes. 
Cut close to the line and sand to the middle of the line.
If you copy the plans and print them on a printer, they tend to distort so be cautious of what you use.
If you cant find any hardwood plywood, make you own.
Be very precise in drilling the arbor holes.  Pointy tooth gears are very picky about that.  Flat top gears are more forgiving.
Make sure the teeth are smooth.  Set them up in a test stand and run them with a drill for an hour or two before assembly into the frame.
If you get stuck, drop me a line.
Regards
Joe

Offline SympatheticAardvark

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Joe.  Based on what you say about Colton's plans, our sounds like the Simplicity is the clock of choice- at least for the first project.  I can hardly wait to get started!

I know mistakes are inevitable, so I am wondering how much extra lumber I should get.  I will be building two clocks simultaneously, so perhaps 40% or 50% extra wood?
~Kaleb

Offline Andrew Roberts

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:38:41 PM »
My advice to you is that never go for any ordinary clock because you will pay same amount of money yet get a boring clock so instead I am going to suggest you to try this latest Coolest clock brand. It is very affordable but what else you get is massive range of designs and features that you won’t believe are possible in a clock that’s why they are now the most preferred choice for one and all.

Offline Petikaka

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »
Main partner of the devil is really fit.

Offline gorbo

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
I too have just been biten by the Wooden clock bug, I own a CNC and have cut test gears with great results

I download the DXF files from Brain Law (no 2 ) , just waitng for a Lathe and I will start, dare say I will be asking for advice soon  :)

Offline steve323

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum gorbo,

Traffic is light and there is a lot of spam.  There are maybe 5-6 people that post real info at any given time.  Ask questions and be patient.  It may take a week or so to get an answer.  I don't know of any other forums that are completely dedicated to wooden clock building.  There are a few metalworking sites on clocks.

I am trying to get started on my clock again.  The gears have been cut for 2-3 years using CNC.  Then other projects got in the way and the clock was sidelined.  My woodworking club has a challenge in October to build a clock, so I am attempting to finally finish it.

Steve