Author Topic: Trouble shooting  (Read 2625 times)

Offline David J. Goodyear

Trouble shooting
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »
I am having problems with my latest clock.  I have tracked the problem to a tooth on a pinion on the center wheel that meshes with the great wheel.  The clock runs for about 1 hour and then stops.  It actually ran for about 12 hours the first time but now it stops every hour at the same place.  I tried moving the great wheel to several other positions so the pinion meshes with a different tooth on the great wheel but the clock always stops at the same position.  I have inspected the pinion and there is nothing abnormal about the tooth profile.  I sand all of my gears to 600 grit to minimize friction and the gears have enough backlash so the teeth do not bind. The clock passes the free wheel test with flying colors and does it with about a 0.5 lb mass.  I understand that the starting and stopping of the gear train is quite a different situation and obviously involves overcoming static friction.  It's just that one tooth that is causing issues regardless of how it meshes with the great wheel.  I am wondering if anybody has any pointers on troubleshooting this issue....

Thanks,

David

Offline rus

Re: Trouble shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:25:50 PM »
Hello
Have you tried working backwards-- check the teeth of the wheel on the same arbor as the pinion in question as they mesh with the previous pinion.  Then, check that pinion. Many times it is a combination of two matters that muck up the works. You may want to check the pivots of the center wheel.  You may consider opening the pivot holes in the frame for that arbor -- just a touch.  It is a tricky last ditch move, but it may buy you the wiggle room you need. I've done it but don't recommend it unless you've tried everything else.

Here's a thought. Does it run well without the dial works and hands?  Try running it without the "extra" gears and hands.  Problem could be there-- in the hour/minute wheel work or an unbalanced minute hand.

I realize you may have done all that -- but...

Good luck -- we've all been there
Rus
Rus

Offline David J. Goodyear

Re: Trouble shooting
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:06:45 AM »
thanks,

I shifted the meshed gears by a couple of teeth, added some more weight to the bob, now all is well!

Thanks again!

Dave