Author Topic: New Starter  (Read 3314 times)

Offline YZF1000R

New Starter
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

OK, rather than go out and buy a Wooden Clock kit I want to jump straight in with both feet and build my own clock to my own design with my own escapemant, but.....

(Probably been asked a thousand times before)

WHERE DO I START?

Do I start with the escapement and work towards the minute hand?
Do I start with the minute hand and work back towards the escapement

Do I just choose a few gears say,
Escapement pinion=12 teeth
Gear 1= 64 teeth
Gear 1 pinion = 8 teeth
Gear 2=90 teeth

I think the above would give me a ratio of 60:1 so I could use this as the minute dial ????

The reason I wanted to jump straight in is because I also write software and I will be writing a windows app that will calculate gears/pendulums etc. (I know there are probably others that do this)

Anyway, any help (apart from go buy a kit) would be grately appreciated

Thanks

Jason

Offline jss

Re: New Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:57:36 AM »
I offer the following.  Gary's web site has been relocated and should offer many answers to your questions.  Check out the engineering and the spreadsheet for gearing.  This is the best place to start.  Enjoy!

http://garysclocks.sawdustcorner.com/animations.html

Jay

Offline pcstru

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »
YFF1000R - Nice Bike! Dangerous bike!

I tend to start with the escapement - probably for no other reason than that's the part of the clock that most interests me. It's also usually the part that is most constrained by the size of cutting bits I can use on the router of the CNC machine. Once I know what that looks like, I know the period and the ratio I need to achieve in the gear train for the minute hand. The train for hour hand is always the same unless you use a daisywheel or other clever arrangement (but I tend to think they don't look as nice as gears). Once all that is sorted, I then start on the frame.

Offline David J. Goodyear

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:00 AM »
I agree with pcstru.  The escapement can be the most interesting and rewarding part of the build and your design is usually constrained by the escapement.  Graham escapements can fit into a very small area.  I have made wooden ones that can fit into an area < 1"x3" which is pretty small for a wooden part.  If you want a sense of nostalgia from your clock it gives a great 'tick-tock".  My favorite escapement is the grasshopper.  It is well suited to wooden clocks since the push and pull pallets "walk" on the escapement wheel.  There is very little friction compared to the graham.  It requires quite a bit of planning though.  There is a paper floating around the net on designing them by Guy Adylett.  The calculations in the paper work perfectly.  As for gearing ratios and arrangement I always try to achieve a look that is aesthetically pleasing.  I try to bring geometrical and mathematical sequences into my designs.  Using the golden ratio as a basis for how your clock looks will add to the visual appeal.  All parts of the build are rewarding.  From design to fabrication there is nothing like getting that first "tick-tock" and seeing a design concept come to life!  Of course you'll also tear your hair out when it stops ten seconds later...such is the art of clock building!

Offline kilsonvorra

• i am kilsonvorra
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:46:50 AM »
This is such a nice description about clock making. This post is such a best and informative for those who really want to build the clock as per their own choice,design and requirement. But for that you have proper knowledge regarding the watch making.