Author Topic: 7 day clock  (Read 3741 times)

Offline ray hampton

7 day clock
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
do anyone know where I can find plans for a clock that only had the days of the week on the clock face ?

Offline steve323

Re: 7 day clock
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
If you start with any standard clock, you will have an hour hand that rotates twice a day.  This needs to be divided down by 14 to get one rotation per week. 

One solution is to divide by 4 and divide again by 3.5 to generate the "week" hand.  A 9 tooth gear driving a 36 tooth gear will divide by 4.  A 10 tooth gear driving a 35 tooth gear will divide by 3.5.

Steve

Offline ray hampton

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 04:22:38 PM »
I need one rotation per  day not one rotation per week

Thanks

Offline steve323

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Hi Ray,

Maybe I don't understand the problem, because I still think that it would need one rotation per week for the clock face to show the days of the week.

If you really need one rotation per day, then the hour hand would need to be replaced by a new hand that divides the minute hand by 24.  This could be done using a divide by 4 and a divide by 6 from the minute hand.  A 14 tooth gear driving a 56 tooth gear will divide by 4.  A 10 tooth gear driving a 60 tooth gear will divide by 6.  These wheels have a lot more teeth than the hour hand wheels that they replace, so they either need a smaller tooth pitch or a larger pivot spacing.

Steve

Offline ray hampton

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »
sometimes I am slow as molasses but I am beginning to understand that the hand only need to turn once per week

Offline kilsonvorra

• i am kilsonvorra
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:42:29 AM »
I think this is nice question of you regarding clock adjustment. It is really informative for people who are really need to know about changing the clock setting to 7 days or week.