Author Topic: Just getting started  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Bruce Robertson

• Bruce Robertson
Just getting started
« on: April 27, 2006, 01:30:29 PM »
About 35 years ago I purchased the plans for a wooden works Frolic Clock.  I was so intregied I called a friend in San Antonio, TX to send me a log from one of his Mesquite trees. After sawing, drying and machinine it to size, I finally got started and got so far as to making the frame and 1/2 of the escape assembly. Not having an index wheel or scroll saw I finally gave up the project.  Then last year in February I again got the bug and from a set of J R Laws plans begain again on 2-5-2005 and finished 7-17-2005.  To my suprise and delight the clock runs and keeps time.  It is mounted in a modified  Mission style frame and is 79 1/2" tall.
The 14 gears are made from steamed European Beech and Cherry.  The frame is made of Brazilan Cabara.

All gears were cut with a router using an 1/8" spiral upcut carbide bit mounted in a homemade pin router (secound design), third design just completed.

Considered using some 50,000 year old Kauri from New Zeland,  Has anyone tried any of this wood for gears? (www.ancientwood.com) I just purchased a sample and it is the most beautifull piece of wood I have ever seen.  I think it's too pretty to make gears.

Pictures can be eMailed on request.

Bruce

JoeComunale

Pictures of Clock
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:57:10 AM »
I would love to see your clock - and your method of manufacturing the gear teeth (if you'd like to share them).

You can e-mail me on:  [email protected]

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
Just getting started
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:48:59 AM »
I too wood like to see your clock pictures.  You should be able to put them on the forum now since we have added that feature.