Author Topic: New too and what I do  (Read 4738 times)

Offline rus

New too and what I do
« on: May 25, 2006, 08:01:57 PM »
Hello Clock Folks
I’m happy to be here.  I’ve learned a great deal from reading your posts and am hoping to become a valuable member of this community.  I started making woodworks clocks by using two of Marc Tovar’s earliest scroll saw patterns.  His clock designs are elegant, real nuts and bolds assemblies (I mean that figuratively and literally) and I learned a great deal.  I wanted to design and cut my own—but being a mac guy and not finding a cad program that I could make do what I needed to, I decided to do the math, make the jigs and cutters and make wheels and pinions that way.  I cut the blanks on a wood lathe (with a Beall Masterpiece model A attachment—nice piece of equipment—this with collets makes lots of jobs possible)—move the blanks to a shop-built gear-cutting engine.  It consists of a nice indexing wheel (an eBay purchase) an x/y table more homemade stuff and a flex shaft on a post.  I start with a straight router bit and finish with a shop-built cutter—ala Westphale.  You can see a clock I built a year and a half ago on Marc’s web site wooden-clockworks.com (check gallery.)
I’ve since built a table regulator that is about 26 inches tall and runs for about 6 and a half days.  The wheels are greatly diminished (I start with a 3/32 router bit) and I used lantern pinions made the way John Wilding suggests.  For an eight-leaf pinion I start with 3/4-inch dowel, turn it down in the middle to about 1/4 inch to form two caps; it looks like a sewing machine bobbin.  I drill the center through to accept a 3/32 steel rod, which will connect this to the rest of the wood arbor assembly and drill for 1/16” pins.  The pitch diameter for an eight-leaf (pin) pinion is just shy of half an inch.  The 96 tooth great wheel takes 24 hours to make one revolution—so I stuck on a sun moon dial.  The clock works well.  I need to take photographs and will post them.  
I thought that was swell, so I tried to make a month runner table clock. You know what’s next—It didn’t work.
I’m now back working on another table clock that uses a compound pendulum (never worked with one before—it should be fun.  Thanks rabbit for the formulas.)  I think what has driven me has been the challenge to shorten the drop and lengthen the running time, while keeping the overall design simple and direct.
Thanks to you all,
Rus
Rus