Author Topic: Are Plans Available?  (Read 9499 times)

gospelmagicman

Are Plans Available?
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »
Hey all!

Great forum.  How can I obtain plans for wooden clocks?

Thanks!
Jon

Bower

Are Plans Available?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »
Take a look at a few of these sites, they are not all that are out there, but it should get you headed in the desired direction.

www.peg-gear-clock.com,
www.pathcom.com/~u1068740/index.html,
flashpages.prodigy.net/rpirtle/index.html,
www.wooden-clockworks.com,
www.woodenclocks.co.uk/index.htm.

Put "http://" in front of these and it should keep you busy for a while.....

Two of these sites have "free" plans, all others have some plans available for purchase.  Most of these sites have links that will give you further opportunities.

Dave

Are Plans Available?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 03:43:33 PM »
Thats some list Rick, many thanks Dave

Offline millerdlca

Another set of Plans
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 01:07:25 PM »
I'm coming back to wooden clocks after a long hiatus of 20 odd years.  I had been intrigued by articles in Fine Woodworking and got as far as building an escape mechanism, but these were the days before the Internet and I couldn't find much other information, so I didn't take it any further. (I still have that mechanism though).  The thought of cutting all those teeth by hand may have had something to do with it as well :^)

I've been perusing the plans that are available today but I came across one set of plans back in my original research that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else before.  They are from Popular Mechanics in the Dec 1959 and Jan 1960 issues and feature an Early American wooden gear clock (no maker mentioned) that the magazine borrowed from the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, disassembled and developed plans from.  It was over 130 years old at that point and was still in operating condition.  One unusual thing about it is that it also has a striking train, something that I haven't seen in plans today.

The photocopy I had was very poor, so I checked in our local library a few days ago, found they still had the back copies of the magazine, and got a better copy.  I suspect most larger city libraries would probably have these old issues available.