Author Topic: amazing new clock  (Read 1124 times)

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
amazing new clock
« on: September 23, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »
Hello again all you patient gear heads.  I have been making clocks again and have just finished the third this year.  I have not placed pictures here because i can't figure out how to make this damn computer do what I want.  I will tell you a little about what I have been busy with and maybe I will be able to find a teenager to help me with the pictures later.

I built a tall clock with a gravity escapement and a vaguely gothic look and it looks ok and keeps good time.  Then I made an epicyclic, usig Clayton Boyers plans but with considerable modifications.  I wanted it to be a lot smaller than his so I scaled it back to .4 of the original.  It was a lot of work but it came out fine and I am happy with it.  I don't have it now because I traded it for a new Axiom CNC mill with liquid cooled spindle that runs very nice and quiet.

I have just finished a larger Art Deco style clock using Wildings movement from his "Big Wheel Skeleton Clock"  It is a beautiful clock and "Click Spring" is currently building it on you tube.  His work is fantastic and if you havn't seen it, do yourself a favor and take a look. I have had Wildings instruction book for  years and was very doubtfull that it could be made in wood but I am getting crazier in my dotage, and thought I would give it a try.  It works beautifully with constant torque springs and I think it may run for nearly two weeks.  It has a 290 tooth drive wheel and I found I could make that a reasonable size using a .042 end mill and a .04imperial module.

I will make every effort to get some pictures and videos on here.  I appologise for being such a lackluster forum administrator. I am 83 now and can't last too much longer so if there is anyone out there who would like to take it over,don't hesitate to let me know.   :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:59:49 PM by satsobek »

Offline steve323

Re: amazing new clock
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
Wow, that is an impressive clock design.  How many teeth are in the great wheel and 2nd wheel?  They must have taken a while to cut and get them to mesh properly.

Steve

Offline gift01

• Clock
    • Table & Wall Clock
Re: amazing new clock
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »
This is a unique clock.
Collection of various clocks, the classic fashion personality https://www.amazon.com/Giftgarden-Table-Clock-Greetings-Friends/dp/B01N2T07K9