Author Topic: Just started a new clock  (Read 3371 times)

Offline jrbeall

• Administrator
    • http://www.bealltool.com
Just started a new clock
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »
Have been inactive for too long and decided it is time to start making some chips.  Have worked out a good sized gravity escapement clock and started on the plates and gears but have not yet decided how the the thing will look.  I am bored with the same old design of wheels in a vertical row on a narrow splat.  Still, it is the easiest and most reasonable design and hard to improve on.  I have drawn all my wheels on Bob Cad and cut them on a new Shark router that I got from Rockler.  It works fine and makes nice clean parts with a Bosch Colt router.  I used a 1/16 end mill for the smallest wheels, .055 inch module and 3/32 for the .007 great wheel.  CNC is really the only way to cut gears  if you can afford a machine and they are getting cheaper every day.  I use cycloidal tooth patterns and generate my own from the module formula that is somewhere on here.  It only take a few minutes to draw a wheel or pinion and I save the drawings so I have a big selection on file already.  It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to cut them out, during which time I can do something else.  I make them from plywood that I produce from veneer and epoxy with a vacuum bag and pump.  I usually use cherry or maple.  The finished parts are very nice looking and absolutely stable.

I am going to try Delrin (acetal) bushings this time.  They are easy to make and turn very nicely.  They are also very stable and not bothered by moisture at all.  I use stainless steel rod for pivots, you can get it at most welding supply shops in 1/16 and larger sizes.

I will stop for now but continue when I have made a little more progress.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:27:47 PM by jrbeall »

Offline EdMorgano

Re: Just started a new clock
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »
Jr,
I have a question for you, or anyone else that is making clocks.  I too use a CNC router for cutting the gears.  What I'm wanting to know is do you polish the gear teeth after you cut them?  And, if so, what do you use to polish them?

Offline steve323

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:43:50 PM »
Hi Ed,

I run a quick pass on a 1x42 belt sander on each side of the tooth with fine grit sandpaper.  Somewhere around 180-220 grit is all that you should need.  You just want to take off the rough spots without changing the shape too much.  It is easy to touch each tooth and roll the tooth slightly.  Move to the next tooth and do the same.  Some sanding belts are smoother than others depending on if the joint overlaps or uses tape. 

My belt sander is similar to a Grizzly H8192.  I tried a cheap 1x30 belt sander from HF and the belt tracking was so bad I returned it.

I have also seen mention of a sanding stick or a small file made to fit a scroll saw. 

My guess is that the tooth will polish itself as it get used.  All you really need to do is eliminate any rough spots and clean up any stubs left over from your CNC cutter.

Steve

Offline Troy Hendricks

• multiple alarm wrist watch
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
Hi,
    I want to know which type of router is perfect to cutting the gears.
multiple alarm watch | watches with alarms

Offline Troy Hendricks

• multiple alarm wrist watch
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »
hello
   it's should be gud for every one
multiple alarm watch | watches with alarms

Offline Andrew Roberts

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 01:09:49 AM »
I think you need proper expert advice to complete this but anyway now time is changing and we can’t stop just for sake of learning instead I prefer to go with the coolest clock that really makes everything look beautiful and is available with variety of clock faces to select according to our background.