Author Topic: Paper Clocks -- which ones are out there?  (Read 12785 times)

Offline dcunningham2

Paper Clocks -- which ones are out there?
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:10:01 PM »
Pardon me if this is off-topic, but I figure paper is a form of wood, so I'll just blunder forward --

I'm curious if there is anyone on these forums who is aware of the paper clocks that are available in the world.  I am limiting myself to only those with movements that are made from paper.

I am aware of at least 4 paper clock kits / books, of which I've built three:

1.  The Peace Tower All Paper Clock Kit by Wrebbit -- an elaborate kit with 800+ pieces.  Built it and it worked the first time.  Single-leg gravity escapement.  Only runs for two hours before needing to be rewound.

2.  Medieval Clock from Wrebbit -- I have built it, but do not have it running yet.  This is more of a thick cardboard clock and will run for 24 hours, assuming I can get it running.  I used the wrong glue and it's delaminating in front of my eyes.

3.  Make Your Own Working Paper Clock by James Smith Rudolph -- a book from which you cut out the components -- I built it and got it to run.  The design is purely functional, with a minimum of components and no aesthetic effects.  It only runs for about six hours -- I was in the middle of devising some sort of block and tackle pulley system to extend the run time, when the entire project was eaten my bonehead Labrador Retriever.

4.  Paper Clock -- downloadable from Fryers Kits (http://www.fryerskits.demon.co.uk/#cl) -- I haven't made this yet, but am planning on ordering and making it in the next month or so.

If there are any paper clock fans, please feel free to contact me at:
dcunninghamatbluevardotcom (convert to a real e-mail address).

Thanks!
Dave Cunningham
dcunninghamatbluevardotcom

Offline millerdlca

Origami Clock
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:53:41 PM »
You may find this of interest - an origami clock made from a single 1.26' x 10.26' sheet of paper.  It's mentioned in the article and there is also a picture - click on the left thumbnail in the set of three thumbnails below the picture of the frog. Apparently, it took 5 hours to demonstrate its folding on Japanese TV.

http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2007/june/origami.php?page=1

Dennis

Offline jss

Re: Paper Clocks -- which ones are out there?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:36:56 PM »
Interesting paper clock assembly --  very nice video!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=erHLCUPsbiw

Offline kilsonvorra

• i am kilsonvorra
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »
This is really interesting video about making mechanical paper clock which i have seen before. I am very much interesting to learn about mechanical clock building, i think this kind of video is helpful for people who want to build paper clocks.

Offline Andrew Roberts

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
This is indeed very interesting, but it’s seriously out of fashion and I don’t want to have something so outdated near my room or even house. This is exactly why I have moved to the hottest brand which is actually Coolest Clock; it’s not just a clock, but a time machine that makes many things possible and it starts from a unique change in faces of clock according to our mood and every face is as stylish as other!