Author Topic: maintaining power  (Read 11541 times)

SCAR

maintaining power
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:18:53 PM »
I'm trying to design and build my own wooden clock.  Most of the examples I see appear to have no maintaining power.  Am I right?  Has anyone used a maintaining power arrangement they could recommend?

At present I am investigating using a planetary gear set attached to a drum, to allow me to to wind and keep power to the train.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

SCAR

Bower

Planetary Maintaining power
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 06:41:40 PM »
Take a look at the autowinding setup on the Millenium Clock here, see if this helps.
     www.bhi.co.uk/hj/HJ-0304-Front.pdf

Bower

Incorrect Web addy posted previously
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:47:38 PM »
Sorry SCAR, I posted the wrong addy, please allow me to try again:

www.bhi.co.uk/hj/feb03aom.pdf

Try this one.
John

SCAR

maintaining power
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:59:35 PM »
John;

Thanks, but I get an Acrobat error when I try to open the document.  I'll try again later.

I did read some of the other articles on the site -- great stuff!

SCAR

Offline rabbit

• http://flashpages.prodigy.net/rpirtle/index.html
maintaining power
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 07:44:16 AM »
i just finished a clock using a Huygens "endless chain" drive.  it was easy, works great, and power is maintained while winding.  i used ball chain, and the "pulleys" look like gears with short, stubby teeth (matching the pitch of the chain).
- rabbit

SCAR

maintaining power
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 12:23:11 PM »
rabbit;

Thanks for the post.  (It's a thrill to hear from you...I'm a big fan of your work!)

When you say ball chain, is this the stuff you might see used with dog tags, or some light fixtures?  Did you make the pulleys yourself, or are they commercially available?

SCAR

Offline rabbit

• http://flashpages.prodigy.net/rpirtle/index.html
ball chain
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 08:05:05 AM »
SCAR - thanks for the compliments!
yup, that stuff. it's the heavy-duty size, like used with bathtub stopper chains (the balls are about 3/16" dia on about 1/4" pitch). the light fixture chain is too small.  i make the pulleys of 1/4" birch ply, almost just like cutting a gear. they have broad, short, stubby teeth and require flanges on the sides.
- rabbit