Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Martyb

• http://www.bauerglobal.com
New Member Introduction
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:18:31 AM »
Hello everyone!  To use a bad analogy, "long time listener, first time caller".  I've been reading the forum for quite a while now.  Gleaning information where I can.  
And what I've learned here has really kickstarted my ambition on building a clock.  I'm about 3/4 done cutting and sanding from Clayton Boyer's "Number 6" plans.  It's been a lot of fun so far, and nowhere near as mind-racking as I thought it would be.  A big thanks goes out to Clayton personnally for giving a huge boost in understanding clock mechanics, gear ratios and escapements.  Before talking with Clayton, it was just a bunch of gears.  But now I've gone back using the formulas that JR posted in the modules section and have a better understading of gear design and the mechanics behind it.

My reason for gaining that knowledge and be attributed (or blamed) on Rabbit.  I've got plans from about everyone out there who sells or gives away plans (my first set was Marc Tovar's MLT-5).  But the creations on Rabbit's site have inspired me to work hard to learn and eventually design my own clock.

A little about me.  I'm a Technical Systems Architect by day (if you're in IT you'll understand that title, it's really hard to explain otherwise).  And a hobby woodworker by night.  I've done some furniture and cabinets for my house, and I have a very small penturning business that I'm developing.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone here for the inspiration.

Marty