Author Topic: Harmonic Oscillators other than Pendulums  (Read 22097 times)

Offline Gary Gresham

Harmonic Oscillators other than Pendulums
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 03:41:17 PM »
Rabbit,
     Your pocket watch is absolutely amazing!  I am currently working on a clock that is housed in a space almost as confined as your watch.  I am having a rough time coming up with a cannon pinion clutch system that will fit in a small space.  I have previously used a set screw in the pinion with a friction plug allowing the pinion to slip around the arbor when setting the hands.  Unfortunately I haven't found a set screw small enough for a .125" thick pinion.  Would you mind sharing what you used to allow the cannon pinion to slip around the arbor when setting the hands?

Also, did you build some kind of bracket or tool to mount the balance wheel for poise adjustment?

Thanks,
Gary

Offline rabbit

• http://flashpages.prodigy.net/rpirtle/index.html
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 07:25:54 AM »
Gary, thanks for the compliments!

for the cannon pinion, i used a small piece of rubber tubing as a "bushing". it fits on the arbor tight enough to hold, but can turn to set. the pinion was bored to accept the tube tightly. this technique can be used on pinions as thin as 1/16". the only drawback is it isn't adjustable like the setscrew/friction plug method.

and yes, i made a crude fixture to adjust the balance wheel poise. i used this same fixture to do the preliminary period adjustment as well.
- rabbit

Offline Gary Gresham

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »
Thanks Rabbit,
    It's amazing how simple solutions sometimes escape us.  Any chance you could post a picture of your poise and period fixture or if not, maybe a description of how poise is determined?  Since I haven't worked with balance wheels until now, I am not sure of how the wheel would need to be oriented to make the assessment.  Thanks again
Gary