Author Topic: 8 day clock weight  (Read 1058 times)

Offline EdMorgano

8 day clock weight
« on: March 02, 2013, 04:09:38 AM »
I've been working on an 8 day clock design and I'm just wondering how much weight.  By the time I got finished, I ended up with about 14# to get a reliable escapement.  Is this good or am I missing something.  The first clock I built was a Brian Law design and I ended up using a 6# weight to get 24 hours so I think I'm making progress, but I would like to know what you guys are doing?  Anyone make an 8 day clock yet?

Offline jltrent

Re: 8 day clock weight
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:13:07 AM »
Ed,

I started, but never completed, an attempt at a 8-day clock.  I was able to get the escape wheel to begin rotating from a dead stop with 4 coke cans as weights (~3.5 lbs).  I was figuring on having to double the weight to drive the pendulum, so was figuring on 7 lbs total.  In a separate thread I seem to recall you indicating that to get the desired drop, you were going to introduce a pulley, which would effectively double the required weight, so maybe 14 lbs is in the ball park?!  Again, I never completed my clock.  (One of these days!)

If I was in your shoes, one thing I would consider is to have a pair of 7 lb weights, with the chains coming off the great wheel horizontally.  I believe this would provide 2 benefits:  1) helps counterbalance the load on the great wheel arbor, reducing wear and tear on the bushings, and 2) a pair of 7 lb weights are probably more aesthetically pleasing than a single 14 lb weight.  Of course, this introduces the complexity of 2 ratchets and barrels on the great wheel arbor, and possibly another set of small auxiliary pulleys to aid in wrapping the chain more completely around the barrel...

R, Jon

Offline kilsonvorra

• i am kilsonvorra
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:38:15 AM »
I have always been interested to make a good clock design. It's really good that you have worked on a 8 day clock weight. So this is really good place to find an information on clock design. 

Offline EdMorgano

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »
I just thought I'd give you an update on the progress I've made on my 8 day clock design.  Here is a picture of the two that I have working.  I polished all of the gears using cloth buffing wheels.  My last clock is ticking with a 9# weight.  That is driving an 8 day clock.  The grandfather clock that I built used 13# and only ran for one day so I really feel like I've made some progress.  I also ended up balancing the escapement shaft because the clock was inconsistent in the amount of weight needed to drive it over the course of one minute.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:53:52 AM by EdMorgano »

Offline Troy Hendricks

• multiple alarm wrist watch
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:02:18 AM »
Very interesting, I'm also looking for new designs.

Thanks
multiple alarm watch | watches with alarms